What You’ll Learn
The Applied and Computational Mathematics, B.S. degree offers a unique and modern selection of courses integrating computational methods, mathematical models, and data science with a strong focus on the foundations in mathematics and the sciences, as well as options for concentrations in Mathematical Modeling and Scientific Computation.
You’ll gain a fundamental, transferrable skill set and the ability to create innovative computing solutions, mathematical models, and analyze complex systems to solve problems in engineering, scientific and technical consulting, insurance, biotech and life sciences, artificial intelligence, data science, and other emerging fields.
Learn to identify, formulate, abstract, and solve mathematical problems that use tools from a variety of areas, including algebra, analysis, probability, numerical analysis, and differential equations.
You can also choose to pursue the following concentrations:More
- Mathematical Modeling: Courses like Mathematics of X-Ray Imaging, Mathematical Fluid Dynamics, and Mathematical Modeling Capstone will give you the quantitative skills you’ll need for mathematical problem-solving in industry and applied sciences. You’ll be able to retrieve and analyze the models for real-world systems and the problems they face in their routine life—everything from membrane filters in vacuum cleaners to the stability flight of meteorites and the impact of erosion in nature.
- Scientific Computation: Develop the advanced technical skills you’ll need to solve problems in research, engineering, industry, and social science. Our courses in Numerical Linear Algebra, Numerical Methods, Numerical Optimization, combined with required core and computer science electives (or equivalent), will give you the necessary tools in data analysis, physics-based simulation, and numerical methods.
- Computer Modeling Specialist
- Engineering Design and Manufacturing
- Industrial Research and Development
- Operations Research Analyst
- Pharmaceutical and Biomedical R&D
- Quantitative Finance and Risk Analysis
- Simulation and Software Developer
- Statistician / Data Scientist