Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (OSPAR)
The mission of the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (OSPAR) is to assist faculty and administration in obtaining external funding for the advancement of scholarship and research, institutional development, and student services. Toward this end, we:
- provide services and resources for identifying funding sources
- advise on and facilitate preparation of grant proposals
- collaborate with administration and faculty to promote interdisciplinary teams
- work with sponsor agencies and NYIT post-award offices to manage grant funds
For an overview of the office's services, please see our brochure (PDF; double-sided).
The difficult we do at once.
The impossible takes a bit longer.
Finding the right funding source can be both an art and a science. We can help you find government (federal, state, and local) and private funding sources. Information on major funding sources and programs can be found here and in emails we send out. Please contact us to let us know about your interest area and to make sure you are on our mailing list.
Through our list of funding sources, you can register to receive targeted funding information via email from the Sponsored Programs Information Network (SPIN), National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, GrantsNet, the Foundation Center, and others.
In addition, SPIN's searchable database can be accessed on campus at any time and can be customized to perform weekly searches based on your keywords and other criteria. It can be searched by keyword, funding type, sponsor, and a host of other criteria. Call 516.686.7737 for information about using SPIN, or consult the following PDF documents:
- SPIN Registration Procedure
- Creating a New Profile
- SPINPlus Highlights
- SPINPlus Quick Reference Guide
- SPINPlus Reference Manual
Putting together a competitive grant proposal can be a daunting task. To make it easier, we can help with:
- obtaining guidelines and application materials
- interpreting sponsor guidelines and regulations
- responding to requests for applications (RFAs)
- talking to program officers/sponsors about the project
- drafting budgets and budget narratives
- editing proposal narratives
- institutional information/sample narratives
- navigating NYIT internal approval processes
The key to accessing these services is to contact us as soon as you have an idea for a proposal. Call 516.686.7488 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forms Required for All Proposals
- NYIT Data Sheet for Grant Proposals (contact OSPAR for guidance and routing)
- Conflict of Interest/Financial Interest Disclosure Form
OSPAR works with the Office of Academic Affairs and the deans to identify areas in which NYIT has strengths and to help faculty network with each other. We also coordinate proposals for major institutional projects that involve multiple departments.
What do you do when you receive an award? Celebrate! Then contact us so we can help you spend the money. We coordinate with the Office of Financial Affairs to ensure that grant funds can be accessed readily and spent in accordance with the sponsor's guidelines. Contracts, sub-awards, and award acceptance forms should be submitted to OSPAR for review and signature.