By getting professional experience before you graduate, you'll be more attractive to employers who always want to hire the most qualified candidates: More than 50 percent of New York Tech interns are offered full-time positions upon graduation.
To find an internship, log on to Handshake, upload your resume, and start searching!
Value of Internships
- Enrich your New York Tech experience by seeing firsthand how academic theory is applied in the workplace
- Network with industry professionals and find a mentor
- Good grades are important, but internships demonstrate your work ethic and commitment to your career
- You may get paid for your internship
- More than 65 percent of students with paid internship experience have at least one job offer upon graduation
- Find out if your major is right for you
What to Look for in an Internship
Make sure an internship is a good match for your major and career goals. Some other things to keep in mind:
- Look for supervised internships where you'll receive regular feedback on your performance and great mentors.
- Make sure to balance work life with your academic schedule—your internship is limited to 20 hours per week during spring and fall semesters, but you'll be able to work full time during summers and holiday breaks.
- Know what you're getting into—internships, just like real jobs, often include entry-level ("grunt") work in addition to the larger responsibilities you'll take on.
Internship Certificate Program
When you participate in our Internship Certificate Program (ICP), you'll get more than work experience. We'll support your experience by ensuring that you meet your learning goals, develop skills employers want, and get evaluations from your internship supervisor that you can use in recommendations and on your LinkedIn profile. Contact the Office of Career Success and Experiential Education at email@example.com for more information.
Benefits of ICP
Even though the ICP does not offer academic credits, there are many benefits to participating:
- Receive two employer evaluations during the internship semester, as well as personalized guidance from career advisors
- Earn a certificate of completion for your professional portfolio
- Share your experiences with other New York Tech interns and network with them to leverage future career opportunities
- Double-down on your internship experiences by participating in the ICP and an academic internship at the same time
ICP Eligibility Criteria
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- Completed one full academic semester at New York Tech
- If you're on an F-1 visa, you must have completed two full-time consecutive semesters and be enrolled in a credit-bearing internship course.