How to Apply to the Osteopathic Medicine, D.O. - Émigré Physicians Program
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM) offers a unique program to re-train émigré physicians born and trained outside the United States to become Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.). NYITCOM is the only medical school in the United States offering such a program and it is only offered at the Old Westbury, New York medical school campus.
- Admission is competitive and highly selective; limited to 35 seats.
- Four-year, full-time U.S. medical school program.
- EPP students are fully integrated into the entering D.O. class and participate in all aspects of student life; research opportunities available with faculty.
- Admitted students are strongly discouraged from working full-time throughout each academic year.
- Students must successfully complete all academic requirements in order to qualify for graduation.
- Medical residency follows successful graduation. Length of residency varies depending on medical specialty.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident at the time of application. NO VISA HOLDERS.
- Must possess a valid Foreign Medical Degree from an accredited university equivalent to the M.D. Degree in the United States.
- Must complete the Émigré Physicians Program Application; Non-refundable application fee: $195.
- To complete the application requirements, you must submit a course-by-course evaluation, TOEFL, letters of recommendation, and a resume or curriculum vitae.
- Applicants invited for an onsite interview are required to take an Entrance Examination.
- An international and U.S. Criminal Background Check from all countries lived in, through Certiphi, is required prior to acceptance.
- Must accept the NYITCOM Technical Standards prior to matriculation.
An official course-by-course evaluation of your educational credentials must be submitted from either of the following evaluation services directly to NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine:
- World Education Services, Inc.
- Globe Language Services, Inc.
Request that Globe send the evaluation to the email address: email@example.com.
An official Internet-based TOEFL score is required with a score of 90 OR ABOVE and no older than 2 years at the time of application. If you do not meet the required score, you must retake the TOEFL until you meet the minimum requirement of 90 or above.
- You must release ALL your scores to NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine using the school code 2486.
- NYITCOM does not waive the TOEFL score requirement.
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Two letters of recommendation are required. Please have your recommenders email their letters as attachments directly to firstname.lastname@example.org on official stationary. The subject line should state your full name, as entered on your EPP online application (Example: “EPP 2018: John Allan Smith”).
PLEASE NOTE: The letters should be sent after your online application has been submitted, so that we can match your letters with your application.
- At a minimum, one letter should be from a D.O. or M.D. experience in the U.S.
- One should be from a recent work, research, clinical or academic experience.
NYITCOM conducts a holistic review on all applicants, which considers other factors beyond academics to include the following:
- U.S. shadowing experiences with DOs and MDs
- Volunteer and work experience in the healthcare field
- Leadership Experience
- Global Health Experience
- Rural and Undeserved Population Experience
- May 2017 – EPP Application becomes available
- September 30, 2017 – Deadline to receive the EPP application and the $195 non-refundable application fee
- October 16, 2017 – Deadline to receive the official course-by-course evaluation, official TOEFL score report, and two letters of recommendation
- December 4-8, 2017 – Interviews and Entrance Examination
- Late December 2017 – The Committee on Admissions will make decisions. A $1,500 nonrefundable tuition deposit will be due within one month of receipt of acceptance.
If you are a re-applicant from the 2017 EPP application cycle, and you submitted an official WES/Globe evaluation and an official TOEFL score report that will not be more than two years old at the time of your new application, you do not need to resubmit them to the NYITCOM Office of Admissions. Note: this will be subject to change for the 2018 EPP application cycle.
The EPP admission information provided above supersedes all previously posted guidelines. A new application and fee is required each year. Please follow the current admission requirements and submit the required application documents as requested. No exceptions or waivers will be made.
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine
Office of Admissions
Serota Academic Center, Room 203
Northern Boulevard, PO Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000
Thank you for your interest. The deadline has passed for the 2017 EPP application.
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine reserves the right to effect any changes in the admission requirements, application documents, document requirements, application timeline, curriculum, administration, tuition and fees, or any other phase of school activity without notice.