How to Apply to the D.O. Program
To be eligible for admission into NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM), you must:
- Have a baccalaureate degree from a college or university accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Department of Education. Candidates from a college where a formal articulation agreement exists for a combined degree are an exception to this requirement.
- NYITCOM will consider candidates with credentials from a college or university outside of the United States. For additional information, please visit the AACOMAS Application Instructions and FAQs.
- Have completed an acceptable academic year sequence with a grade of "C" or better in the following prerequisite courses:
- English: 6 semester hours
- Biology, including a basic course in general biology or zoology (lecture and lab): 8 semester hours
- General Chemistry (lecture and lab): 8 semester hours
- Organic Chemistry I (lecture and lab): 4 semester hours
- Organic Chemistry II (lecture and lab): 4 semester hours. Biochemistry, 4 semester hours with lab, may be substituted for Organic Chemistry II.
- Physics (lecture and lab): 8 semester hours
- Have taken the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in the past three years and report your scores directly to AACOMAS. MCAT scores must be no older than three years at the time of application.
- Accept NYITCOM technical standards for acceptance and matriculation.
The above are minimum requirements for admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Students are encouraged to enroll in additional courses such as behavioral sciences (psychology, sociology, anthropology), biochemistry, calculus / statistics, human anatomy / physiology, genetics, and microbiology. Community and hospital based volunteer or professional work is another way by which applicants can assess their interest in the healing profession and express their commitment.
To apply to NYITCOM, visit aacom.org. The AACOMAS online application allows you to submit an application to us through a secure web server. Once it is processed and verified, the admissions office will receive your completed application.
- May 3, 2018: AACOMAS begins to process application materials.
- February 1, 2019: Deadline for receipt of applications by AACOMAS.
- February 16, 2019: Deadline for receipt of Supplemental Application.
All applicants to NYITCOM are required to complete our Supplemental Application. At that time, you will be required to:
- Pay the $80 non-refundable fee or submit your unique fee waiver code.
- State the campus/site you are interested in attending: Old Westbury, N.Y. or Jonesboro, Ark.*
*The NYITCOM Committee on Admissions reserves the right to recommend the best campus fit for you based upon your complete application.
We will email you a secure link to our Supplemental Application once you submit your completed AACOMAS application. You will have 10 days to complete your Supplemental Application from receipt of our email. Your application to NYITCOM is not complete unless all Supplemental Application questions have been answered and the fee paid.
NYITCOM will only honor verified AACOMAS fee waivers. If you received an AACOMAS Fee Waiver, please forward that email to firstname.lastname@example.org so that the Admissions Office may verify you are on the approved list of fee waivers. After verification, we will provide you with a one-time, unique supplemental fee waiver code via email that will expire within five days of receipt.
Note: Verification times will vary; so please be patient!
The NYITCOM Supplemental Application will only be available to applicants until February 16, 2019.
Letters of RecommendationMore
NYITCOM requires all letters of recommendation be sent via the AACOMAS system. We do not accept letters that are emailed or mailed to the admissions office. Note: We no longer accept letters of recommendation submitted through Virtual Evals and Interfolio.
- A Pre-health Committee Letter/Composite Letter
- Letters from two science and one non-science faculty who have taught you.
In addition, we strongly recommend:
- D.O./M.D. letters from non-family members.
- Letters from long-term work, research, or clinical experiences.
NYITCOM has developed the following transfer policies in accordance with our educational objectives.
You may transfer to NYITCOM to gain entry into the third year. To do so, you must have successfully completed the first two years of an osteopathic medical school curriculum accredited by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) and be in good academic standing. You must have no prior record of unsatisfactory academic performance in a course or clerkship or been found guilty of any disciplinary charge. This status must be confirmed in a letter from the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs at your prior school. Each transfer request will be reviewed and eligibility determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Successful completion COMLEX-USA Level I on the first attempt.
- A completed criminal background check.
- A personal interview with NYITCOM faculty and staff.
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended, including undergraduate, graduate, and medical schools.
- Official record of MCAT results.
- Written verification of good academic standing by the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs at the prior school.
In addition, you will be required to complete the last two years of medical school at NYITCOM.
Application for transfer and required documentation must be submitted between February 1 and March 15. Admission decisions will be made after all currently enrolled NYITCOM students are placed in clinical rotations (typically during the month of April). Transfer applicants must contact NYITCOM Office of Admissions prior to submission of required documents.
Next Steps: After You've AppliedMore
We begin interviewing in late summer and continue through early spring until the class is filled. Decisions regarding interviews are based upon careful evaluation of an applicant's completed application and all supporting documentation. Personal interviews are required of applicants under serious consideration and are granted only by invitation of the Admissions Committee. Interviews are scheduled on the Old Westbury, N.Y. and Jonesboro, Ark. campuses. Applicants should schedule their interviews as soon as possible upon receiving the invitation. We work on a rolling basis, so applicants are interviewed and accepted throughout this time period.
All admissions decisions are sent via email, providing you ample time to make your enrollment decision (we do not offer extensions). Please check your email regularly throughout the cycle to receive important messages from the Office of Admissions regarding your status.
UPDATING APPLICATION INFORMATION
Please refer to AACOMAS Instructions for General & Academic Update (coursework).
NYITCOM does not accept updates or additional material(s) once you have submitted your Supplemental Application. We consider all of the materials presented to us to be most relevant at the time of your application.
WITHDRAWING AN APPLICATION
To withdraw your AACOMAS application, please email email@example.com with your request to withdraw from the current academic year's application cycle. Please include your full name, telephone number, and AACOMAS ID number.
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine at Arkansas State University (NYITCOM at A-State)
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 119
State University, AR 72467