Cybersecurity at NYIT
NYIT takes cybersecurity very seriously. Learn more about our cyber academic programs, sponsored faculty research, and conferences.
Ongoing, high-profile hack attacks have highlighted the critical need for cybersecurity experts and the vulnerability of our personal and business data. As the Internet of Things expands and more of our possessions and systems are connected to the Internet—everything from smart appliances and cars to wearable technology and medical devices—the more we must all be prepared for cyber risks in our everyday life.
At NYIT, we've been advancing the field of cybersecurity for almost two decades, fostering technological innovation and promoting partnerships among industry leaders, academia, and government. Our well-established undergraduate and graduate cybersecurity-focused degree offerings and our research efforts are poised for growth, thanks to a number of initiatives and anticipated developments with new partners, grants, and research-related opportunities.
College of Engineering and Computing Sciences Dean Nada Anid, Ph.D., notes: “We are uniquely equipped to provide the educational experience and services needed in the areas of information assurance and cyber defense through our academic programs, sponsored faculty research projects, cybersecurity conferences, public-private partnerships, and related events. We welcome you to join us!”
Explore Our Degrees
Our cybersecurity course offerings include:
- Computer Science, B.S.: NYIT's most popular degree! Includes concentrations in Big Data Analytics, offered in partnership with IBM; and in Network Security.
- Information Technology, B.S.: Includes a concentration in Network Security.
- Information, Network, and Computer Security (M.S.-INCS): Available at our New York and Vancouver campuses. NYIT is the only American university in Western Canada offering a cybersecurity degree.
Our undergraduate and graduate programs are taught by faculty experts who have been awarded research grants in biometrics, swarm intelligence, privacy, cryptography, information assurance, mobile, and cybersecurity. They bring their cutting-edge work into the classroom to engage students in real-world research.
In November 2017, NYIT opened a new cybersecurity lab. Funded by a $400,000 grant from Governor Cuomo's Empires State Development program, the lab serves as a catalyst for advancements in innovation, engineering, and technology tosafeguard everything from information to infrastructure. Located on the Old Westbury campus, it will also promote NYIT and Long Island as part of the "tech corridor" extending from Brooklyn to Brookhaven that supports the vibrant regional engineering and technology economy.
The Entrepreneurship and Technology Innovation Center (ETIC) is an 8,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility on NYIT's Old Westbury campus that fosters discovery. As an idea and business incubator, it cultivates exciting new opportunities and products with research imperatives in IT and cybersecurity; bioengineering and medical devices; and energy and green technologies.
A Recognized Authority
NYIT is a Certified Information Assurance Courseware Institution designated by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Central Security Service for their shared goal to create new technologies to secure critical national information and data pools. NYIT is also Long Island's only NSA-DHS National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE-CD), a prestigious designation that is integral in helping NYIT faculty compete for research grants and promoting NYIT students to secure government and private sector scholarships (and jobs) in cyber defense.
NYIT works with industry leaders to create internships and other training opportunities for students and professionals in many fields, but especially in the cybersecurity arena.
- Cisco Academies, established with corporate partner Cisco Systems, Inc., offer hands-on, experiential training and professional certification for students and industry professionals pursuing cybersecurity-related studies.
- A $100,000 grant from Northrup Grumman supports student education and research activities in cybersecurity, including competitions and hacking exercises.
- NYIT also recently announced a new partnership with Cybersecurity Ventures, the world's leading research and publisher covering the global cyber economy, to bolster New York City as a major cybersecurity hub.
- Company executives at IBM, Motorola, Fortinet, Northrop Grumman, and others are members of the Dean's Executive Advisory Board who advise NYIT on curriculum, share knowledge, provide expert speakers at NYIT's world-class cybersecurity conferences, and increasingly, hire NYIT graduates in the U.S. and beyond.