Living in Jonesboro
Jonesboro is a thriving community in which to continue your medical education. It is…
- One of the fastest growing cities in Arkansas: It has increased by 23.5% since 2000 and is projected to grow at an accelerated rate because of its centralized location and proximity to major highways.
- A regional center for medical care: It is the home to two acute care hospitals, specialty clinics, and mental/behavioral health facilities serving a 23-county region of northeast Arkansas and southeast Missouri.
- The retail center for northeast Arkansas: In recent years, the retail sector growth rate in Jonesboro was more than double the statewide sector growth and has driven employment growth. More than $36 million in sales taxes were collected in 2016.
- A hub for higher education: It is the home to Arkansas State University, the flagship campus of the Arkansas State University System. Jonesboro also has award-winning primary and secondary public schools.
- A Main Street America and Main Street Arkansas member: This revitalized part of the city, less than two miles from campus, has quality restaurants and pubs, loft-style living, and specialty retail stores.
- Home to scenic parks and recreation spaces. 692-acre Craighead Forest Park, a favorite destination among our medical students, includes bike and running trails, disc golf, fishing, playgrounds, camping, and a music venue. It also hosts events such as the Labor Day Blues Fest and the XTERRA: Iron Will XC Triathlon.
- Focused on wellness. Our students enjoy taking advantage of exercise boutique studios in Jonesboro, such as Nirvana Hot Yoga and ZenSpin Studio, where some of our students are instructors.
- Within close proximity to fun, interesting destinations. If you are looking for a bigger city experience, Memphis, Tenn. is an easy one-hour drive from campus and offers professional sports games, arts performances, or nightlife on historic Beale Street. Other day trips include:
- Little Rock, Ark.
- Petit Jean Mountain
- Spring River
- Mountain View
- Greers Ferry Lake
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Arkansas State University
Population: 74,889 (U.S. Census July 1, 2016 estimate)
Mean Daily Max Temp: 70.7° F, Min Temp: 50.5° F
Cost of Living Index: 82.4 (13.2% lower than national average)
Median gross rent (2011-2015): $691
Mean travel time to work: 16.3 minutes