International Student Orientation Information
Congratulations and welcome to the New York Institute of Technology. We are delighted to have you join us.
As an international student, your orientation program has two mandatory sections: SEVIS Check-in and Orientation.
Mandatory SEVIS Check-In
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) impacts international students and SEVP-certified schools, SEVP is closely monitoring key developments and will provide further information and important updates as necessary. It is a priority for SEVP to ensure that F and M students can make normal progress in a full course of study as required by federal regulations. Please check your New York Tech emails regularly for updates.
It is very important upon entry into the United States, you check-in with the New York Tech Office of International Education (OIE) to:
- Update your visa information.
- Obtain immunization clearance. (See our Immunization Policy.)
- Schedule placement exams. (For students with an I-20 for language training or an I-20 with English language proficiency requirements listed under Program of Study and/or Remarks section on I-20.)
- Register for classes.
Upon entering the United States, all new international students must complete a mandatory SEVIS check-in. This process collects copies of your F-1 or J-1 status documents and the information the Office of Education needs to report your arrival in SEVIS. This process must also be followed by students who have transferred to New York Tech for Spring 2021.
Failure to do so will result in your F-1 record being canceled due to a failure to enroll.
The following steps below outline the check-in process:
Step 1: Upload your SEVIS Documents
You can start to upload your documents after entering the U.S.
Please plan to complete the form before your selected SEVIS check-in time. You will need to provide the information below along with electronic copies (.pdf, .jpeg, .png, etc.) of the documents listed below to complete this step. (If you are not able to upload your documents in advance, bring the original documents with you to the check-in session.).
- Your New York Tech I-20 (for F-visa holders) or DS-2019 (for J-visa holders) used to enter the U.S. Note: If you are transfer student, you will also need to submit the last I-20 from your previous school.
- Valid Passport (identity and validity page).
- F-1 or J-1 Visa and Date of Arrival Stamp (copy of entry stamp page for Canadian citizens). Note: The date of arrival is important as we are required to update your record within 30 days of your arrival in the U.S.
- A printed or electronic copy of your most recent I-94 record. Note: This record will not be created until you have entered the U.S. Within 24 hours of your entry, you can retrieve your electronic I-94 online from the Customs and Border Patrol website. You will need your passport information to retrieve your electronic I-94.
- Your local address in the U.S. and a U.S. phone number. Note: If you will have a temporary address when you arrive in the U.S., this is the address you should report during check-in.
- Name and contact information (phone number and email) of a local U.S. contact (at least one) and two emergency contacts (must be family members).
- Documents for any dependents that will enter the U.S. with you (passport, visa stamp, I-20/DS-2019, and I-94 record). Dependents can be legally recognized spouses or children (unmarried and under the age of 21) who will be joining you.
Step 2: Attend a Zoom Session (August 9 – September 3, 2021 – Weekdays only):
You can follow this link once you have completed your SEVIS Check In to attend a Zoom Session.
We will be conducting these one on one sessions starting on August 9 – 27, 2021 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the morning and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the afternoon.
Step 3: Attend your selected SEVIS check-in session
You will complete your document upload and address reporting during the SEVIS check-in session. Be sure you have ready access to your local address in the U.S. and your emergency contact information. Remember that you will need to wait until you have entered the U.S. to upload the I-94.
Once you have completed your check-in and OIE has received your documents and address information, we will report your arrival in SEVIS. Please note that we cannot complete this process if you do not have a valid local address.
Step 4: Receive your new Form I-20
Contact OIE in October to receive your updated Form I-20 (F-1 students only). This is your new document as well as your confirmation that your arrival has been reported in SEVIS. At this point in the check-in process, your SEVIS record status will change from “Initial” to “Active.” This I-20 will be available in third week of September 2021.
- Office of International Education (including visa and immigration information and forms)
- International Student Ambassadors
- English Language Institute
- Immunization Information and Forms
- Getting Started Guide for International Students
- Coming to New York – Arrival Handbook:
Christopher Olagunju 212.261.1684 firstname.lastname@example.org