International Student Orientation Information
Congratulations and welcome to the New York Institute of Technology. We are delighted to have you join us. As an international student, your orientation program has two mandatory sections: SEVIS Check-in and Orientation.
Mandatory SEVIS Check-In
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) impacts international students and SEVP-certified schools, SEVP is closely monitoring key developments and will provide further information and important updates as necessary. It is a priority for SEVP to ensure that F and M students can make normal progress in a full course of study as required by federal regulations. Please check your New York Tech emails regularly for updates.
It is very important upon entry into the United States, you check in with the New York Tech Office of International Education (OIE) to:
- Update your visa information.
- Obtain immunization clearance. (See our Immunization Policy.)
- Schedule placement exams. (For students with an I-20 for language training or an I-20 with English language proficiency requirements listed under Program of Study and/or Remarks section on I-20.)
- Register for classes.
Upon entering the United States, all new international students must complete a mandatory SEVIS Check-In.
This process involves the collection of copies of your F-1 or J-1 visa documents as well as additional required information that we need to report your arrival in SEVIS and activate your status. Failure to do so will result in your F-1 record being canceled or your J-1 status being invalidated due to a failure to enroll.
Important: The earliest date you can arrive is December 23, 2023, arriving earlier than this date will cause you to be out of status and require you to return home and re-enter to properly activate your status. Do not rely on Customs and Border Patrol to inform you of this, you must know beforehand. The latest date of arrival date for incoming new students for the Spring 2024 semester is January 22, 2024. This date does not apply for new F-1 students who are transferring into New York Tech and are currently present in the U.S.
If you are unable to arrive by January 22, 2024, then you must contact Admissions to defer your entry into the U.S and Form I-20 start date to Summer or Fall 2024. Late arrival letters will not be given, and it will be in your best interests to schedule your visa appointments early.
Note: Students Transferring into New York Tech – The process below must also be followed by students who are already in the U.S. and are transferring into New York Tech for Spring 2024. Even if you had already completed the check-in process at your previous school or institution, you still must check in here at New York Tech. The deadline to report to the New York Tech for new students transferring in is February 6, 2024.
Note: Students Transferring Out Upon Arrival – Students looking to transfer from New York Tech should follow these steps »
The following steps outline the SEVIS Check-In Process:
Step 1: Upload your SEVIS Documents
Follow the link here and begin uploading required documents.
You can start to upload your documents after entering the U.S. Please plan to complete the form prior to your selected SEVIS check-in time.
You will need the information below along with an electronic copy (.pdf, .jpg, .png, etc.) of the documents listed below to complete this step. (If you are not able to upload your documents in advance, bring the original documents with you to the check-in session.)
- Form I-20 / DS-2019
- Your New York Tech Form I-20 (for F-visa holders) or Form DS-2019 (for J-visa holders) used to enter the U.S.
- Note: If you are a transfer student, then you will also need to submit the last I-20 from your previous school in addition to your New York Tech Form I-20.
- Valid Passport
- Biography page
- F-1 or J-1 Visa
- Date of Arrival Stamp (if available)
- Copy of entry stamp page for Canadian citizens
- I-94 Record
- A printed or electronic copy of your most recent I-94 Record.
- Note: This record cannot be created or be accessible until you have entered the U.S.
- Within 24 hours of your entry, you can retrieve your electronic I-94 online from the Customs and Border Patrol website.
- You will need your passport information to retrieve your electronic I-94.
- Remember that you will need to wait until you have entered the US to upload the I-94.
- Local Address and Contact Information
- Your local address in the U.S. and a U.S. phone number.
- If you will have a temporary address when you arrive in the U.S., this is the address you should report during check-in. You can change it later if required.
- Emergency and Local Contacts
- Name and contact information (phone number and email) of at least one (1) local U.S. contact and two (2) emergency contacts (who must be family members)
- Dependent Documentation, if applicable
- Documents for any dependents that will enter the US with you (passport, visa stamp, I-20/DS-2019 and I-94 record)
- Dependents can be legally recognized spouses or children (unmarried and under the age of 21) who will be joining you.
Step 2: Attend a Zoom Session, January 4 – 19, 2023 (Weekdays only)
We will be conducting these one-on-one meetings from January 4 through 19, 2024, in morning sessions from 10 a.m. to 12 noon.
Step 3: Attend your selected SEVIS Check-In session
This session is a time for you to have any of your individual concerns addressed and to confirm that you have completed your SEVIS Check-In process. Once you have completed your check-in and we have received your documents and address information, we will report your arrival in SEVIS.
To register for courses, you must meet with your academic advisor. Academic Advisor Information can be found here.
Please note that we cannot complete this process if you do not have a valid local address.
Step 4: Attend International Student Orientation
For information regarding orientation for new students, go to nyit.edu/orientation.
Step 5: Attend International Student Immigration Session
Orientation for international students will be held on Thursdays in January 2024. You can attend whether you are in the United States or overseas. This orientation will inform you all the necessary rules and regulations you will need to follow as an F-1 student. Register for International Student Immigration Session here. Zoom ID: 945 0078 6278.
Step 6: Receive your new Form I-20
Contact OIE in February 2024 to receive your updated Form I-20 (F-1 students only). This is your new document as well as your confirmation that your arrival has been reported in SEVIS. At this point in the check-in process, your SEVIS record status will change from “Initial” to “Active.”
This I-20 will be available to receive in fourth week of February 2024 (starting February 26). Be sure to email us with the subject line: Continued Form I-20 Requested.
J-1 students will not receive a new DS-2019 but will have your records validated in SEVIS.