Graduation & Diplomas
The Difference Between Commencement & Graduation
Commencement is an annual ceremony held in the spring that recognizes students who have recently graduated or will soon graduate. Graduation is the conferral of your degrees. In order to graduate, a student must:
Participating in commencement does not mean that a student has graduated.
To graduate, you must:
- Fulfill all requirements for your degree (as listed in the catalog in effect on the date of admission/readmission). See our Graduation Evaluation Guidelines for additional information.
- Meet the minimum cumulative GPA required for your program.
- Apply for graduation online via the Student Service HUB.
- Be recommended by your advisor, who will submit a signed degree audit evaluation to the Office of the Registrar.
- Comply with application deadlines listed on the academic calendar.
Applying for Graduation
Graduating students should apply for graduation at the beginning of their final semester. Applying for graduation is separate from your decision to attend Commencement.
- Complete and file an online application to graduate through the Student Service HUB by the deadlines below:
- September 23, 2023 – for (Fall) December 31, 2023 conferral date
- February 16, 2024 – for (Spring) May 31, 2024 conferral date
- March 29, 2024 – for (Summer) August 31, 2024 conferral date
- After your graduation application is received, you will receive an email from the Office of the Registrar to your New York Tech email account indicating the status of your application. Your status may be:
- Approved: all requirements have been successfully completed.
- Pending Successful Completion: approved for your degree contingent upon successful completion of all work that may be in progress.
- Denied: you have not successfully completed one or more of the requirements for graduation and you are not eligible to graduate at this time. Contact your advisor or department office for more information.
If you are unable to apply for graduation or for further information, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 516.686.7694 or email@example.com.
The conferral date is the date on which a student's degree is awarded. The conferral dates for each semester are:
- (Spring) May 31
- (Summer) August 31
- (Fall) December 31
Students will be reviewed by the Graduation Office throughout the semester, but cannot be graduated prior to the conferral dates for the term in which they apply for graduation.
The commencement for the Class of 2024 will be held on May 2024 (TBD) and will recognize students with the following conferral dates:
- (Fall) December 31, 2023
- (Spring) May 31, 2024
- (Summer) August 31, 2024
For additional details, visit the Commencement web pages.
Getting Your Diploma
If you attend New York Tech's Long Island or New York City campus, your diploma will be mailed to your mailing address on record, usually within 6-8 weeks after you are approved graduation. To receive your diploma please review the following:
- Your diploma can be picked up by you or your designee, or be mailed to you.
- If you would like your diploma mailed to you, please complete the Diploma Mailing Request Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you would like to pick up your diploma, please email email@example.com. If you attend one of New York Tech's global campuses, contact the Office of the Registrar at your campus for information on how to receive your diploma. A CeDiploma® is available for students who graduate December 2019 and onward. Your CeDiploma® will be available within 5-7 weeks after you are approved for graduation. You will receive an email with a link to download your credential when it is available from our trusted partner, CeCredential Trust™. Be sure to register for your free account directly on the CeCredential Trust™ website in order to have lifetime access to your CeDiploma®. If you need to request a new download link, please see CeCredential Trust™. For more information, visit: https://cediploma.nyit.edu/.
If you attend one of New York Tech’s global campuses, contact the Office of the Registrar at your campus for information on how to receive your diploma.
Thank a Professor
Instructors don't always have a chance to learn about the positive impact they have on the students they teach. The Thank A Professor program gives you the opportunity to express appreciation to the faculty who have made a difference in your career at New York Tech. The time it takes to say "thank you" may be brief, but the impact is far greater than you may realize. Thank someone today!Thank a Professor Form
Learn more about Thank a Professor.