Pathway to Teacher Certification
New York State public schools require certification for all teachers, administrators, and pupil personnel service providers (school counselors, psychologists, social workers). You’ll find detailed information on the certification process outlined below at the New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Teaching Initiatives.
How to Apply for Teacher Certification
- Complete your program of study at New York Tech.
- Register on NYSED’s TEACH online system. You will apply for certification through the system. Through your TEACH profile and account, you will be able to view your exam results, apply for fingerprint clearance, confirm receipt of your recommendation for certification from New York Tech, and monitor the status of your application.
- Use the NYSED’s drop-down search function to review the requirements for the type of certification for which you’ll be applying. This “preparation pathway” includes a list of all necessary exams, workshops, security clearance, and documentation.
- Prepare for and pass all exams required for the certification you’re seeking, such as the ALST (Academic Literacy Skills Test), EAS (Educating All Students) Exam, edTPA assessment (during your semester of student teaching), and CST (Content Specific Test).
Note: Consult the New York State Certification Exam website for current information on any safety nets that may be in effect for specific exams in regard to re-testing after failure to pass, minimum grade requirements, etc.
- Complete all required workshops: DASA (Dignity for All Students Act), Child Abuse, and SAVE (Safe Schools Against Violence in Education). Child Abuse and SAVE may be taken online.
- If your fingerprints have not already been processed and cleared by NYSED, apply for fingerprinting through IdentoGO.
- Apply and pay for your certification at the time you apply for graduation. Submit all required supporting documentation.
- New York Tech will recommend you for certification, usually within a week of your graduation.
- You will receive your certification within a few days after the New York Tech recommendation has been submitted, assuming you have met all requirements. It will appear on your TEACH account.
- Office of Teaching Initiatives – Certification from Start to Finish
- TEACH system
- Certification Requirements Search
- New York State Teacher Certification Examinations
- Exam Safety Nets
Exam Information and Preparation Guides
- General Information
- Academic Literacy Skills Test – Sample
- Elementary Assessment of Teaching Skills—Written (090)
- Elementary Assessment of Teaching Skills – Study Guide
- Secondary Assessment of Teaching Skills—Written (091)
- Multi-Subject (002)
- Educational Technology Specialist (071)
- School Leadership
Director of Field Placements and Certification