Admission Requirements: Life Sciences, B.S./Physical Therapy, D.P.T.
Thanks for your interest in the Life Sciences, B.S./Physical Therapy, D.P.T. program. The combined program will enable you to achieve B.S./D.P.T. degrees in six years. It includes a three-year phase of pre-professional courses and a three-year phase of professional courses.
- Minimum combined SAT score of 1170 (critical reading and math only) or ACT score of 24.
- Minimum high school average of 90.
- 50 hours of volunteer or paid experience under the direct supervision of a physical therapist. The hours must be completed at the time of application.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- 300-350 word essay on your desire to work in the field of physical therapy.
This program is for high school seniors and is not available for transfer students.
- Completed application.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Copies of transcripts of all high school work, including college-level courses. Your mid-year and final grades will be required. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Official SAT (critical reading and math only) or ACT test scores. You have the option of submitting results from the previous or redesigned SAT.
NYIT SAT Code: 2561; NYIT ACT Code 2832
- Feb. 1
Applicants who are not offered admission to this highly selective program but present a compelling application may be offered admission to an alternative program of study.
Requirements for Transition to the D.P.T. Program
In order to be considered for transition into the professional phase of the program, you must first complete the undergraduate portion of the curriculum within 3.5 years. If you need to take a leave of absence from the undergraduate phase of the program, extenuating circumstances will be considered, and upon departmental approval, you may be admitted into the professional phase when prerequisite coursework is completed.
If prerequisite coursework cannot be completed in the 3.5-year time frame, you must change to an alternate major and apply for admission to the D.P.T. program through the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service for entry as a graduate student.
You will be required to meet certain standards for acceptance into the Physical Therapy, D.P.T. program:
- Submit an application through the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service (PTCAS).
- 3.2 cumulative GPA.
- No science or math grade lower than B.
- Only one math or science course can be retaken one time to achieve the required grade.
- No grade of D or F in any course.
- 100 hours of volunteer or paid experience under the direct supervision of a physical therapist during each year of undergraduate study. Documentation must be submitted to the Department of Physical Therapy by May 20 of each year.
- Recommendation from the NYIT Physical Therapy admissions committee.
The Life Sciences, B.S. degree will be conferred upon successful completion of your first professional year in the Physical Therapy, D.P.T. program.