Admission Requirements: Life Sciences, B.S. / Physical Therapy, D.P.T.
Thank you for your interest in the Life Sciences, B.S./Physical Therapy, D.P.T. program. The combined program will enable you to achieve B.S./D.P.T. degrees in six years. It includes a three-year phase of pre-professional courses and a three-year phase of professional courses.
- Minimum combined SAT score of 1170 (critical reading and math only) or ACT score of 24. This program requires standardized test scores. Review our test-optional policy.
- Minimum high school average of 90.
- 50 hours of volunteer or paid experience under the direct supervision of a physical therapist. The hours must be completed at the time of application.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- 300–350 word essay on your desire to work in the field of physical therapy.
**This Early Assurance program is for high school seniors and is not available for transfer students.
- Completed application.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Copies of transcripts of all high school work, including college-level courses. Your mid-year and final grades will be required. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Official SAT (critical reading and math only) or ACT test scores. You have the option of submitting results from the previous or redesigned SAT.
NYIT SAT Code: 2561; NYIT ACT Code 2832
- Feb. 1
Applicants who are not offered admission to this highly selective program but present a compelling application may be offered admission to an alternative program of study.
Requirements for Transition to the D.P.T. Program
In order to be considered for transition into the professional phase of the program, you must first complete the undergraduate portion of the curriculum within 3.5 years. If you need to take a leave of absence from the undergraduate phase of the program, extenuating circumstances will be considered, and upon departmental approval, you may be admitted into the professional phase when prerequisite coursework is completed pending evaluation from the DPT Program Chair and Admissions Coordinator.
If prerequisite coursework cannot be completed in the 3.5-year time frame, you must change to an alternate major and apply for admission to the D.P.T. program through the Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service for entry as a graduate student.
Students are required to meet certain standards for acceptance into the Physical Therapy, D.P.T. program. You will meet twice a year with DPT faculty advisors for updates regarding application information and applicable deadlines.
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, please note the following New York Tech program in Physical Therapy Revised Admissions Requirements:
- The program will require 100-hours of volunteer/observation hours due on May 20, 2022 for all New York Tech BS/DPT students. All completed hours for 2021-2022 should have been submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 20, 2022. Please contact the department if there are additional questions regarding completion of required hours.
- Grades of Pass/Fail will be accepted for courses taken in Spring 2020 only. Online course credits will be accepted for all courses for all of 2020 and Spring 2021 only.
- Students are advised to opt out of P/F, not only to offer an accurate evaluation of their ability to meet the academic demands of the DPT curriculum, but also in the event the student chooses to apply to residency or other graduate programs outside of PT.
The Life Sciences, B.S. degree will be conferred upon successful completion of the first professional year in the Physical Therapy D.P.T. program.
Admitted Student Profile
IPEDS Admissions Component, U.S. News & World Report