Our Fabrication Labs connect you to advanced digital maker fabrication technology and facilitate the production of highly accurate physical models through a range of equipment including computer-controlled laser cutters, 3-D printers, CNC routers, and traditional wood shop machines. Our experienced staff technicians are on-site and available to train and help you operate the equipment. We also offer a wide variety of small power, hand tools, and basic hardware supplies to help you craft projects.
In 2021, The School of Architecture and Design celebrated the opening of the IDC Foundation Digital Fabrication and Robotic Matter Design Labs on the Long Island Campus. The Lab was generously supported as part of the $2 million grant awarded to New York Tech by the IDC Foundation in 2018 to help further the school's "culture of making" by enabling students to explore synergies between architecture and various professions such as medicine and health for example, as well as combine their design sensibilities with advanced digital fabrication equipment. The state-of-the-art facility is equipped with the latest technology with vacuum forming machines, laser cutters, CNC machines, 3-D printing equipment at multiple scales and with various materials as well as simulation programs, augmented and virtual reality, and robotic systems. The new lab promotes innovation, integration of emerging technologies in curricula, and facilitates entrepreneurial initiatives for students and faculty on both New York campuses.
For news related to this project please visit:
- "School of Architecture and Design Receives $2 million Grant"
- "School of Architecture and Design Celebrates the Opening of the FabLab"
Fabrication Lab Equipment
- 3-D Printers
- CNC Machines
- Laser Cutters
- Large band saws
- Small band saws
- 10" table saw (Operated only by shop supervisor)
- Panel saw (Long Island only)
- Disk sanders
- Belt sanders
- Sanding table
- Large drill press
- Small drill press
- Oscillating sander
- Chop saw
- Router table
- Small scale model-building equipment
Policies and Procedures
- Please sign and submit a Shop Waiver Agreement before working in our fabrication labs.
- You must be enrolled in courses offered by NYIT School of Architecture and Design. New York Tech students and faculty outside of the school who are interested in using the Fabrication Labs must contact the director of digital technologies and fabrication to gain access.
- You must complete a training session by one of our shop supervisors prior to using any Fabrication Lab equipment. Upon completion, you will receive a shop sticker that must be presented upon entering the lab.
- First time users of any machine should come into the shop for a consultation prior to file submission.
- NOTE: The following materials may not be used in the Fabrication Labs:
- Treated lumber
- Oriented strand boards or particle boards
- Used materials, unless permission received from director of digital technologies and fabrication
Manuals and FormsAccount Registration
- New York City: 1855 Broadway, Rooms 1007, 1009, and 1010
- Long Island: Education Hall, Room 274
Interested in working in the Fabrication Lab? Contact Dustin White at email@example.com.
Fabrication Lab Staff
Director, Digital Technologies and Fabrication
Mauricio Tacoaman (New York City)
Fadhil Fadhil (Long Island)