Admission Requirements: Life Sciences, B.S./Physician Assistant Studies, M.S.
Thanks for your interest in the Life Sciences, B.S./Physician Assistant Studies, M.S. program.
The combined program will enable you to achieve B.S./M.S. degrees in six years. It includes a three-year phase of undergraduate courses and a three-year phase of graduate courses.
- Minimum combined SAT score of 1170 (critical reading and math only) or ACT score of 24.
- Minimum high school average of 90.
- AP credits with a score of 5 (five) are accepted for the following pre-requisite courses for the MSPA program:
- Two semesters of biology with laboratory.
- Two semesters of general chemistry with laboratory.
- One semester of psychology
- One semester of college math
- College credit courses that earn a letter grade of B and above will be accepted towards any of the MSPA professional phase pre-requisite courses
- 50 hours of verifiable patient contact experience
This program is only open to recent high school graduates and is not available for transfer or international students. Candidates with bachelor's degrees should apply directly to the Physician Assistant Studies, M.S. program.
- Completed application.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Copies of transcripts of all high school work, including college-level courses. Your mid-year and final grades will be required. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Official SAT (critical reading and math only) or ACT test scores. You have the option of submitting results from the previous or redesigned SAT.
NYIT SAT Code: 2561; NYIT ACT Code 2832
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Letter from supervisor(s) verifying at least 50 hours of patient contact experience, including details of tasks performed.
- 300-350 word essay on your desire to become a physician assistant.
- First-Year Priority Deadline: Nov. 1
- Regular Admission: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling admission basis, as long as space is available.
Applicants who are not offered admission to this highly selective program but present a compelling application may be offered admission to an alternative program of study.
Progression to the M.S. Program
You are required to meet certain standards to transition from the undergraduate phase into the Physician Assistant Studied, M.S. program:
- Submit an application through the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). This application includes:
- Completion of at least 250 hours of verifiable direct patient healthcare experience.
- Three professional letters of recommendation, including at least one from a health care practitioner with PA, MD, or DO credentials
- Complete an admissions interview
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- Minimum overall science GPA of 3.4.
- No prerequisite grade lower than a B.
- Only one math or science course can be retaken one time to achieve the required grade.
- Progression to the master-level professional phase will be no sooner than the completion of 3 years of NYIT undergraduate course work.
- In-person progression evaluation and recommendation from the PA program chair.
- Fulfillment of Technical Standards of the Physician Assistant Studies program.
If you are accepted to the master's program, your Life Sciences, B.S. degree will be conferred upon successful completion of your first year in the Physician Assistant Studies, M.S. program. If you are not accepted to the master's program, you must complete the requirements for another B.S. degree in the biological and chemical sciences department.
Graduates of the master's degree program are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certification Examination administered by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants. All states require applicants for physician assistant licensure to pass the certification examination.