Admission Requirements: Interior Design, B.F.A.
Thanks for your interest in the Interior Design, B.F.A. degree. This degree has specific admission requirements in addition to our general requirements.
- Minimum combined SAT score of 1080 (critical reading and math only) or ACT composite score of 21.
- If you do not meet this requirement, you will be allowed to take Visualization I (AAID 140) with a status of School of Architecture and Design-Undeclared. You may then apply for entry into a specific degree program upon successfully completing each class with a minimum grade of C+ and earning a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- A portfolio is not required as part of the initial admissions process. However, at the completion of Interior Design II (DSGN 202), you will need to submit a portfolio of work completed at NYIT and have a 2.75 cumulative GPA or 3.0 GPA in interior design courses in order to advance from second year to third year design.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 for coursework completed at other institutions or at NYIT.
- A portfolio is required in order to receive transfer credit for design work. You will receive instructions to submit your portfolio when you receive your credit evaluation.
- Completed application.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Copies of transcripts of all high school work, including college-level courses. Your mid-year and final grades will be required. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Testing Preferences: First-time first-year applicants may choose to submit their application without standardized test scores to be considered for admission to New York Institute of Technology for the Fall 2020, Spring 2021, and Fall 2021 semesters. Some academic programs require test scores. Review our test-optional policy. If you are submitting official SAT (critical reading and math only) or ACT test scores, use these codes.
NYIT SAT Code: 2561; NYIT ACT Code 2832
- Two letters of recommendation.
- 300-350 word essay on one of the following topics:
- Tell us about your career goals and why attending NYIT would further these goals.
- Describe the achievement of which you are most proud and why.
- First-Year Priority Deadline: December 1
- Regular Admission: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling admission basis, as long as space is available.
- International Student Deadlines: December 1 for the spring semester and July 1 for the fall semester.
Admitted Student Profile
IPEDS Admissions Component, U.S. News & World Report