Admission Requirements: Interior Design, B.F.A.
Thanks for your interest in the Interior Design, B.F.A. degree. This degree has specific admission requirements in addition to our general requirements.
- Minimum combined SAT score of 1080 (critical reading and math only) or ACT composite score of 21.
- If you do not meet this requirement, you will be allowed to take Visualization I (AAID 140) with a status of School of Architecture and Design-Undeclared. You may then apply for entry into a specific degree program upon successfully completing each class with a minimum grade of C+ and earning a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- A portfolio is not required as part of the initial admissions process. However, at the completion of Interior Design II (DSGN 202), you will need to submit a portfolio of work completed at NYIT and have a 2.75 cumulative GPA or 3.0 GPA in interior design courses in order to advance from second year to third year design.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 for coursework completed at other institutions or at NYIT.
- A portfolio is required in order to receive transfer credit for design work. You will receive instructions to submit your portfolio when you receive your credit evaluation.
- Completed application.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Copies of transcripts of all high school work, including college-level courses. Your mid-year and final grades will be required. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Official SAT (critical reading and math only) or ACT test scores. You have the option of submitting results from the previous or redesigned SAT.
NYIT SAT Code: 2561; NYIT ACT Code 2832
- Two letters of recommendation.
- 300-350 word essay on one of the following topics:
- Tell us about your career goals and why attending NYIT would further these goals.
- Describe the achievement of which you are most proud and why.
- First-Year Priority Deadline: Extended to December 1.
- Regular Admission: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling admission basis, as long as space is available.
- International Student Deadlines: December 1 for the spring semester and July 1 for the fall semester.