Admission Requirements: Architecture, B.Arch.*
Thanks for your interest in the 5-year professional Bachelor of Architecture degree program (B.Arch.) at the School of Architecture and Design. The New York Institute of Technology maintains two paths for admission to the B.Arch. degree program, which is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
Application Materials for the Bachelor of Architecture
All applicants must provide the following materials:
- Completed Common application or NYIT online application.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Copies of transcripts of all high school work, including college-level courses. Your senior year mid-year and final grades should be summited when available. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Official SAT (critical reading and math only) or ACT test scores. You have the option of submitting results from the previous or redesigned SAT. We will review applications with self-reported test scores, which may be used as a basis for admission. Upon enrollment, official test scores must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- NYIT SAT Code: 2561; NYIT ACT Code 2832
- Two letters of recommendation.
- 300-350 word essay on one of the following topics:
- Tell us about your career goals and why attending NYIT would further these goals.
- Describe the achievement of which you are most proud and why.
Option One: Requirements for Direct Admission into the B.Arch Program
Required materials include a complete common application complying with NYIT admission criteria. In addition, a Portfolio of creative work is required for admission into the B.Arch Program. The creative Portfolio should consist of 10-15 pages of your own visual work (format PDF/ MP4, size limit 35 MB). It can include assignment-based projects, self-directed work or pieces of a collaborative nature, and could contain multimedia work, photography, drawings, sketches, collages, models, paintings, sculpture, poetry, furniture design, etc.
Applicants who are not admitted for direct freshman B.Arch. admission will automatically be considered for admission to the pre-professional Bachelor of Science in Architecture Technology (B.S.A.T.). Once admitted into the B.S.A.T. program, you will have the option to move to the B.Arch. program after the second year. Please see Option 2 for rules governing internal transfer from the B.S.A.T to the B.Arch.
Option Two: Admission into the B.Arch. Program from the B.S.A.T. program.
If you are a B.S.A.T. student, prior to enrolling into the fall semester of your third year (Arch 301- Design 3 studio) you can apply for acceptance into the B.Arch. program, which has the following requirements:
- Submit for review your Foundation Portfolio of exemplary work from your first and second year upon completion of year two of the B.S.A.T. This is a representative Portfolio of your individual design work, which is reviewed by a committee of faculty members. If your Portfolio is accepted by the committee, you may apply for admission to the B.Arch. program, entering into the third year.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 for all courses taken at NYIT, or cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher in all Architecture courses.
At any point of your studies of the B.Arch. program you can decide to change in favor of the B.S.A.T. program upon revision of course equivalences.
Graduates of the 4-year B.S.A.T. program are eligible to apply to Track II (2-year) of NYIT's professional Master of Architecture program (M.Arch.). For more information, please refer to M.Arch. admission policies.
- First-Year Priority Deadline: February 15.
- Regular Admission: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling admission basis, as long as space is available.
- International Student Deadlines: December 1 for the spring semester and July 1 for the fall semester.
*This updated version of the Admission Procedures to the B.Arch. Program has been submitted to NYSED.
Admitted Student Profile
IPEDS Admissions Component, U.S. News & World Report