How to Apply: First-Year
Thanks for your interest in New York Institute of Technology! We know you have a lot to think about, whether you are just starting to research and visit universities or you are ready to apply.
The priority deadline is December 1 for most programs. We review applications for admission and automatic scholarship decision on a rolling basis, as long as space is available. We are now offering test-optional admission to first-year applicants.
- Priority Deadline: Dec. 1
- Combined Life Sciences, B.S./Osteopathic Medicine, D.O. (B.S./D.O.): Nov. 15
- Combined Life Sciences, B.S./Physical Therapy, D.P.T.: Feb. 1
- Architecture, B.Arch.: Feb. 15. The admissions committee will continue to review applications until the program reaches capacity.
Have you completed at least 24 college credits after high school?
Apply as a Transfer Student
Admitted Student Profile
IPEDS Admissions Component, U.S. News & World Report
How to Apply
Degrees with Specific Admission RequirementsMore
- College of Arts & Sciences
- School of Architecture & Design
- College of Engineering & Computing Sciences
- School of Health Professions
Step 1: Complete an ApplicationMore
Step 2: Choose Your Testing PreferenceMore
First-time first-year applicants may choose to submit their application without standardized test scores to be considered for admission to New York Institute of Technology. We conduct a comprehensive evaluation of each applicant’s school records, essays, recommendations, and any other information provided through the admissions process. Some academic programs require test scores. Review our test-optional policy.
If you are submitting your SAT (critical reading and math only) or ACT test scores: We will review applications with self-reported test scores, which may be used as a basis for admission. Official test scores must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
NYIT SAT Code: 2561; NYIT ACT Code: 2832
If you choose to be a test-optional applicant: You will have the opportunity to choose your preferences when you submit the Common Application or the New York Tech Online Application. You will be required to submit two letters of recommendation. We may require test-optional applicants to submit a graded essay from any class. An additional essay prompt may be required for international applicants without a graded essay in English.
Step 3: Submit Your TranscriptsMore
We prefer electronic submission of documents. Please submit your documents electronically to ensure efficient processing. We participate in several electronic transcripts networks: National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment Exchange, Scoir, and eSCRIP-SAFE. If your prior institution does not participate with one of our networks, they may send an electronic official transcript directly to email@example.com. If you recently submitted supporting documents, please allow the Office of Admissions at least 2-4 weeks to process your materials.
- Transcripts: Copies of transcripts of all high school transcripts, AP, IB, and A-Level test scores, and transcripts for any college-level coursework will be required during the admission process. Your mid-year and final grades will also be required. All final, official transcripts must be received by the Office of Admissions prior to the start of your first semester.
Step 4: Submit Two Letters of Recommendation
Step 5: Complete 300-350 Word EssayMore
Choose one of the following essay topics.
- Tell us about your career goals and why attending New York Tech would further these goals.
- Describe the achievement of which you are most proud and why.
- If you are applying to the occupational therapy, osteopathic medicine, nursing, physician assistant studies, or physical therapy programs, explain your desire to work in this field.
We may require test-optional applicants to submit a graded essay from any class. An additional essay prompt may be required for international applicants without a graded essay in English.
Submit your application materials:
NYIT prefers electronic submission of documents. Submit your documents.
We participate in several electronic transcripts networks: National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment Exchange, Scoir, and eSCRIP-SAFE. If your prior institution does not participate with one of our networks, they may send an electronic official transcript directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If required, you may email other documents to email@example.com or fax to 516.686.1116.
Our mailing address is:
Office of Admissions
New York Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000
Create your profile on RaiseMe and get matched to scholarships while you are in high school.
Check Your Application StatusMore
Throughout the admission process, you can check on the status of your application. We will communicate with you via email regarding missing documents required for your application. If you recently submitted these items, please allow 2-4 weeks for us to process these materials.
If you have attended New York Institute of Technology in the past and are interested in re-enrolling:More
Depending on how long you have been away from New York Institute of Technology, different requirements apply for readmission.