Mandatory Health, Life, and Disability Insurance for Students
All NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine students are required to maintain continuous active medical and dental insurance sponsored by a domestic health insurance plan. For 2022–2023, NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine medical insurance will be provided by Aetna Student Health (PPO plan), and dental insurance by The Guardian (PPO plan). Every student is required to enroll in the insurance plans unless an acceptable waiver is provided in a timely manner.
- All students must complete a beneficiary form (to insure proper information for the insurance company and to specify your chosen beneficiary) even if you are not taking medical and/or dental coverage.
- Incoming students must have their enrollment submission and/or waiver submission on file with HSAC no later than the first day of orientation.
- If there is a change in insurance status for you or your dependent, (i.e., you are no longer covered by the insurance you indicated on your waiver; marriage, the birth of a child, etc.), you must complete the appropriate online request at HSAC or forms with the Office of Student Life within 30 days of the date of change.
- A student's bursar account is charged for medical, dental, life, and disability insurance automatically. Charges for medical and dental insurance will be removed if a waiver has been submitted through the online portal and HSAC has verified that coverage is active and meets NYITCOM requirements. For cancellations, Insurance companies will not refund premium after 30 days.
- Waiver information will be verified several times throughout the year. A current waiver with active insurance coverage must be on file with HSAC at all times. You do not need to submit a waiver unless your insurance coverage has changed or you receive a new insurance card. Waiver information may be submitted online with a copy of the front and back of your current health insurance ID card(s).
- The annual waiver period is to May 15th – June 30th. If an annual waiver is not approved, the student will automatically be enrolled in the NYITCOM-sponsored student medical and/or dental plans.
Procedure to Enroll After the Initial Eligibility Period
A student or dependent of a student, who is eligible for coverage but does not enroll when originally eligible, may enroll for coverage IF ALL the following conditions are met:
- The student (or dependent) was covered under a group health plan or health insurance coverage at the time coverage was offered; and,
- The student stated in writing that coverage under a group health plan or health insurance coverage was the reason for declining coverage; and,
- The student's or dependent's coverage was terminated as a result of loss of eligibility for coverage (including loss of dependent status under a parent's coverage, legal separation, divorce, death, or termination of employment); and,
- The student requests enrollment in the student sponsored plan not later than 30 days after the termination date of the loss of eligibility.
Loss of Coverage
- The student or dependent will have to provide proof of loss of other coverage in writing within the enrollment period (30 days).
Students or dependents of students not enrolling within 30 days of their loss of coverage are not eligible to enroll for coverage until the next Open Enrollment period (each July and January). A booklet explaining the plan and its benefits is available in the Office of Student Life.
The only acceptable reasons to waive NYITCOM's medical or dental plans are:
- The student is covered under a parent's employers group insurance
- The student is covered under a spouse's employers group insurance
- The student is covered by Medicaid for AY 2022–2023. (In 2023–2024, Medicaid will not be waived for third and fourth year students unless the student's clerkships are in the state where the Medicaid is issued)
- The student is covered by the military or VA
For individually purchased ACA compliant plans, first- and second-year students only with the following additional requirements:
- The plan deductible must not be more than $1,500
- The plan out-of-pocket maximum must not be more than $6,350
Individually purchased medical, dental, Affordable Care Act, and/or COBRA plans are not acceptable for students in Years 3 and 4.
Students may not opt out of life and disability plans. Life and disability insurance will be provided by the AMA Med Plus Advantage Plan for all students. Students may not waive life, disability, and AD&D coverage.
Summary of Necessary Submissions for Incoming Students
- Enrolling in Health & Dental Insurance and mandatory Life & Disability Insurance:
- Complete all information required in the enrollment tab: https://app.hsac.com/NYITDO/enroll
- In the Additional Documents tab: include the fully completed Enrollment Form, along with all of the necessary information required.
- Waiving Health & Dental Insurance and enrolling in mandatory Life & Disability Insurance:
- Complete all information required in the Waiver tab: https://app.hsac.com/NYITDO/enroll
- In the Additional Documents tab, be sure to include the Enrollment Form with sections A & C completed (this is necessary for the mandatory Life & Disability Insurance), along with all of the necessary information required.