Admission Requirements: Occupational Therapy, OTD
Thanks for your interest in the Occupational Therapy, OTD program.
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Academic record that includes a balance of coursework in the humanities, social sciences, mathematics, and life sciences, as well as competence in written and spoken English. Basic computer skills (preparation of documents, spreadsheets, graphs, databases, research, and presentations) are required.
- Satisfactorily complete the following prerequisite courses at an accredited college with a grade of B- or higher in all math or science courses, and a minimum grade of a C+ in all other non-science prerequisite courses. All science courses must be for science majors. Only one math or science course can be retaken one time to achieve the required grade. Course descriptions are required for each of the prerequisites.
- One course in General Biology with Lab (four credits)
- One course in General Chemistry with Lab (four credits)
- One course in Human Physiology with Lab or Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab (four credits)
- One course in Human Anatomy with Lab or Anatomy and Physiology II with Lab (four credits)
- One course in General/Introductory Psychology (three credits)
- One course in Developmental or Child Psychology (three credits)
- One course in Abnormal Psychology (three credits)
- One course in Statistics (three credits)
- One course in either Anthropology or Sociology (three credits)
- One recommended course in Academic or Scientific Writing (three credits)
- If you have a bachelor’s degree and have not completed all prerequisite courses for admission, you may be provisionally accepted to the program. After completion of these prerequisite courses and satisfaction of all other academic and professional standards, you may be admitted into the professional phase of the program.
- Meet the Technical Standards for the occupational therapy program.
- Proof of 100 hours of volunteer work under the supervision of a licensed occupational therapist
- Important: In response to the COVID-19 crisis, please note the following New York Tech Occupational Therapy Program has revised admissions requirements for Spring 2020-2021 only: For incoming graduate students, students will be required to submit a OTCAS application in the 2020 application cycle with a minimum of 50 volunteer/observation hours, in lieu of the requirement of 100 hours of volunteer experience under the direct supervision of a licensed occupational therapist.
- An essay detailing the desire to pursue occupational therapy as a career
- Three professional letters of recommendation on letterhead, including one from a licensed occupational therapist. Recommendations must be dated within the past six months. References should be sent in sealed envelopes with the referee’s signature over the seal. Signed recommendation letters can also be submitted through OTCAS.
- Course descriptions for all prerequisite courses
- A personal interview (for those applicants who qualify)
- An on-site essay on an assigned topic
- Copies of undergraduate transcripts for all post-secondary schools attended. Only two prerequisites can be pending (e.g., in progress) at the time of application. Acceptance (if granted) will be conditional to receiving the required grade in the admission criteria. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Copy of college diploma or proof of degree
Priority Deadline: October 1
Extended Deadline: February 21
Submit your application through the Occupational Therapist Centralized Application Service (OTCAS). A completed application must be received by the program from OTCAS between August 1 and December 31. The priority application due date is October 1. Specific instructions related to the application process can be found on the OTCAS website.
Department of Occupational Therapy
New York Institute of Technology
Riland Center, Room 333
Northern Boulevard, PO Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11568