Admission Requirements: Mechanical Engineering, M.S.
Thanks for your interest in the Mechanical Engineering, M.S. program.
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET-accredited program; or
- B.S degree or its equivalent in a closely related field with appropriate prerequisite courses approved by the chairperson of the Mechanical Engineering department.
- Minimum undergraduate G.P.A. 2.85 for full matriculation.
- If you do not satisfy this criterion you may be admitted at the discretion of the dean. Additional criteria include: scores on the Graduate Record Examination or other diagnostic tests to assist in the evaluation of an applicant’s credentials.
- Once enrolled in the program, your academic records may be reviewed for performance evaluation and further advancement in the academic program including completion of nine graduate credits and satisfactory performance on prerequisite courses (listed below) when applicable.
- Up to six transfer credits from an accredited graduate program may be granted for appropriate courses in which a minimum grade of B was earned.
- For students with an insufficient background for admission into the M.S. in Mechanical Engineering program, the following prerequisite or equivalent courses may be required:
- MENG 221 Strength of Materials (3 credits)
- MENG 212 Engineering Mechanics II (Dynamics) (3 credits)
- MENG 240 Thermodynamics (3 credits)
- MENG 310 Introduction to Material Science (3 credits)
- At least two courses from the group: MENG 340 Fluid Mechanics, MENG 370 Machine Design, MENG 324 Vibrations and System, MENG 349 Heat Transfer. Note: Credits earned for the courses above will not be counted toward the 30 credits required for the degree.
General Application Materials:
- Completed application.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Copies of undergraduate transcripts for all schools attended. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Copy of college diploma or proof of degree.
- Official GRE scores, if required. NYIT GRE Code: 2561
- International student requirements: English proficiency, I-20, and transcript evaluation.
Fellowships and Assistantships
Research fellowships and teaching assistantships are available to qualified candidates. These opportunities are usually for a 10-month period and may include partial remission of tuition and fees.
If you have any questions about admissions or eligibility, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at email@example.com or 516.686.7520.