Admission Requirements: Data Science, M.S.
B.S. degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university in computer science or related area
- If students have a degree in engineering, an accredited program is one that is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
- If students have completed degrees in computer science or a closely related field, an accredited program is one taken at a college that is regionally accredited, such as the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- If students have an international baccalaureate degree or diploma, which is equivalent to three years of undergraduate study in the U.S. in computer science, engineering, or a related area, they may be eligible to be admitted into a bridge option in the intended graduate program.
Minimum undergraduate CGPA in undergraduate studies of 2.85 for full matriculation
- Applicants who do not qualify for full matriculation and have an undergraduate GPA between 2.5 and 2.84 may, at the discretion of the director, be given the opportunity to demonstrate qualifications for full matriculation by achieving a GPA of 3.0 or higher in the first four graduate courses. In addition, such students may be required to take one or more parts of the GRE and meet individual departmental requirements. In general, students in this category will not be permitted to continue in the program for more than two semesters unless they have qualified for fully matriculated status, or there are special extenuating circumstances.
Submit GRE scores
- Graduates of foreign universities are required to take the GRE and submit their scores.
- Students with a GPA below 2.85 may, at the discretion of the dean, be asked to take the GRE or other diagnostic tests. Admission will be based upon consideration of test results, previous academic performance, and related employment, if applicable.
Students with an insufficient background for admission into the Data Science M.S. program may be admitted if they have satisfied the following prerequisites or equivalents before taking any graduate level courses in the program:
- CSCI 125 Computer Programming I (3 credits)
- CSCI 185 Computer Programming II (3 credits)
- CSCI 235 Elements of Discrete Structures (3 credits)
- CSCI 260 Data Structures (3 credits)
- CSCI 270 Probability and Statistics for Computer Science (3 credits)
- CSCI 300 Database Management (3 credits)
- CSCI 312 Theory of Computation (3 credits)
- CSCI 335 Design and Analysis of Algorithms (3 credits)
Additional Prerequisite Courses
- MATH 170 Calculus I (4 credits)
- MATH 180 Calculus II (4 credits)
- MATH 310 Linear Algebra (3 credits)
Note: Credits earned for the courses above will not be counted toward the 30 credits required for the degree.
- Completed application
- $50 nonrefundable application fee
- Copies of undergraduate transcripts for all schools attended. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Copy of college diploma or proof of degree
- Official GRE scores, if required (NYIT GRE Code: 2561)
- International student requirements: English proficiency, I-20, and transcript evaluation
- Students may transfer up to six transfer credits from an accredited graduate program for appropriate courses in which a minimum grade of B was earned.