Admission Requirements: Architectural Technology, B.S.A.T.
Thanks for your interest in architecture degrees. All students interested in the Architectural Technology, B.S.A.T. or the Architecture, B.Arch. degree will be reviewed for admission to the B.S.A.T. degree. Upon completing a two-year common core curriculum and meeting specific requirements, you may be able to progress into the five-year B.Arch. degree or complete your B.S.A.T. degree, which is accredited by New York state and may lead to New York state licensure.
This program has specific admission requirements in addition to our general requirements.
- Minimum combined SAT score of 1080 (critical reading and math only) or ACT composite score of 21.
- If you do not meet this requirement, you will be allowed to take Visualization I (AAID 140) with a status of School of Architecture and Design-Undeclared. You may then apply for entry into a specific degree program upon successfully completing each class with a minimum grade of C+ and earning a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Three years of math.
- A portfolio is not required as part of the admissions process. You will need to submit a portfolio for review, and have a 2.75 cumulative GPA or 3.0 GPA in architecture courses after completing Architectural Design II (ARCH 202), prior to enrolling in Architectural Design III (ARCH 301).
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 for coursework completed at other institutions or at NYIT.
- A portfolio is required in order to receive transfer credit for design work. You will received instructions to submit your portfolio when you receive your credit evaluation.
If you are admitted to this program, you will need to complete a two-year common core curriculum, including the first-year AAID sequence. This curriculum includes design studios and architectural history courses, as well as liberal arts courses such as English composition, math, physics, behavioral science, economics, fine arts, and social science. After successful completion of this program, you may:
- Continue with the four-year B.S.A.T. degree.
- Apply for admission into the Architecture, B.Arch. degree (View admission requirements)
General Admission Requirements
Entrance Statistics (fall 2016)
- Average GPA: 3.38 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Middle 50% for SAT: 1050-1240 (scores are concorded to the new 1600 SAT scale)
- Average SAT: 1150 (scores are concorded to the new 1600 SAT scale)
- Middle 50% for ACT: 21-27
- Average ACT: 25
- First-Year Priority Deadline: Nov. 1
- Regular Admission: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling admission basis, as long as space is available.
- International Student Deadlines: Dec. 1 for the spring semester and July 1 for the fall semester.
- Completed application.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Copies of transcripts of all high school work, including college-level courses. Your mid-year and final grades will be required. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Official SAT (critical reading and math only) or ACT test scores. You have the option of submitting results from the previous or redesigned SAT.
NYIT SAT Code: 2561; NYIT ACT Code 2832
- Two letters of recommendation.
- 300-350 word essay on one of the following topics:
- Tell us about your career goals and why attending NYIT would further these goals.
- Describe the achievement of which you are most proud and why.