CLEP & DSST Proficiency Examinations
Credit for degree requirements and elective courses can be earned by achieving satisfactory scores on proficiency examinations. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DSST Subject Standardized Test (DSST) are nationally recognized proficiency exams that provide students the opportunity to demonstrate college-level knowledge and acquire credit applicable toward degree completion.
For a list of New York Tech course equivalencies for these exams, please refer to the following:
Please note that New York Tech is not a testing center, but does accept credit.
Quick Information on Taking CLEP/DSST Exams
Information on finding a local test center, examination fees and suggested study material is available at the websites noted. When taking a CLEP or DSST exam, be sure to indicate New York Tech's college code as the "score recipient" to have an official report sent to us.
- CLEP offers 34 exams and charges $89 to take an exam.
- DSST offers 30+ exams and charges $100 to take an exam.
- Contact local test centers directly for information on their exam schedules and testing fees.
- CLEP exams are computer-based. DSST exams are either paper- or computer-based, depending on the test center.
- CLEP also offers a Remote Proctor option to take exams from your computer. If you choose this option, a $30 remote proctoring fee will be charged.
- Exams are typically multiple-choice and timed—1.5 hours for CLEP and 2 hours for DSST.
- We will receive your official score report if you indicate New York Tech as the "score recipient."
- If you take a CLEP or DSST exam and do not pass, it will not be noted on your New York Tech transcript. However, you will have to follow the CLEP (3 months) and DSST (30 days) waiting period before retaking the same exam.
- Credit for CLEP and/or DSST is named as Proficiency Exam (PE) credit on New York Tech transcripts.
- New York Tech charges $75 per course to process Proficiency Exam (PE) credit.
- Only undergraduate students are eligible to receive credit for proficiency exams. Prior learning credit is not awarded at the graduate level.
- All prior learning policies outlined in the New York Tech Catalog apply.
- Military members may be eligible for CLEP or DSST exam fee waivers. Please visit the CLEP and DSST websites for more information.
Please be sure to obtain academic advisement before taking proficiency exams. Contact the Office of Prior Learning for any assistance with the process.
Office of Prior Learning
Room 219, Gerry House,
Long Island Campus