The Writing Center is holding online tutoring appointments. The sign-up process remains the same.
The Writing Center helps New York Tech students with writing and reading assignments, generally those assigned in English classes, although anyone with a paper assignment from any university class may come to the Writing Center for help.
To make an appointment
- On the New York Tech website, sign into my.NYIT
- Click "Tutoring"
- Click "Login to Online Tutoring"
- Select "Tutoring"
- Select "Help with Writing"
- Select "General Help with Writing"
- Click "Next"
- Select a time that is convenient for you
- Briefly describe what you would like help with
- Click "Confirm Appointment"
Here's what tutors in the Writing Center will help you do:
- Read and understand your assignment
- Understand the writing process, including brainstorming, planning, drafting, revising, and editing
- Overcome writer's block and give you a solid start to your essay
- Plan your essay's focus, thesis, organization, examples
- Practice invention techniques, such as brainstorming, clustering, free-writing and outlining
- Sharpen your thesis or controlling idea
- Learn to read aloud in order to help you "hear" prose style, rhythm, and clarity
- Self-edit (i.e. read aloud, edit line by line). Note: the tutor will not "fix" your paper!!! This is your job!
- Understand how to document sources correctly (per the style manual specified for the course)
- Learn to read and answer final exam reading comprehension questions effectively
- Enhance your reading comprehension
- Understand basic grammar topics and implement them in your own writing
Here's what tutors WILL NOT do:
- Write or re-write your paper
- Edit, proofread, or correct your paper
- "Find" all the errors of grammar or usage or word choice
- Read and/or comment on your text extensively in writing
- Interpret a faculty member's grade or second-guess the grading process for the course or the assignment
- Make changes to the assignment as stated
- Tutor for standardized non-New York Tech tests, such as TOEFL, GRE, or CLEP
- Work with non-academic writing, such as resumes and applications for grants, jobs or graduate school
Cancelation Policy: When you make an appointment for the Writing Center, you MUST keep that appointment. If you cannot attend the virtual session, you are required to cancel your appointment 24 hours in advance. To cancel an appointment, select the appointment on your my.NYIT calendar and click "cancel appointment" in the lower left-side appointment screen. If you miss two appointments without providing 24 hours of advance notice, you will not be permitted to use the Writing Center for the rest of the semester.
7 – 9 a.m.
7 – 10 a.m.
10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
12 – 3 p.m.
12 – 1 p.m.
1 – 3 p.m.
1 – 3 p.m.
3 – 5 p.m.
2:30 – 6 p.m.
7:30 – 9:30 p.m.
6 – 9 p.m.
8 – 10 p.m.