Émigré Application Requirements Class of 2024
Admission Requirements for the Entering Class of 2024
- Must be born outside the U.S. and be a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident at the time of application (Green Card should not expire prior to graduation date). Visa holders are not eligible to apply.
- Must possess a valid Foreign Medical Degree from an accredited university equivalent to the M.D. degree in the United States. The foreign medical institution should not be accredited by the United States Department of Education and as such should not qualify for U.S. federal financial aid.
- Must complete the Émigré Physicians Program Application online and submit the nonrefundable $195 application fee.
- To complete the application requirements, you must submit a course-by-course evaluation, TOEFL, letters of recommendation, and a resume or curriculum vitae.
- Applicants invited for an interview are required to take an Entrance Examination.
- Applicants opting to submit Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores may be exempt from the Entrance Exam.
- An international and U.S. Criminal Background Check from all countries lived in is required prior to acceptance.
- Must accept the NYITCOM Technical Standards prior to matriculation.
An official course-by-course evaluation of your educational credentials must be submitted from either of the following evaluation services directly to NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine:
- World Education Services, Inc.
Request that WES send the evaluation electronically to NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Globe Language Services, Inc.
Request that Globe email the evaluation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NYITCOM only accepts evaluations from these two evaluation services, and they are subject to approval by the Admissions Committee. The evaluation must state that the applicant possesses a valid foreign medical degree from an accredited university equivalent to the M.D. degree in the United States.
A TOEFL iBT (internet-based) exam score of 90 or higher is required for all applicants. TOEFL results must be less than two years old at the time of application. Please schedule your test date at least two months prior to the application deadline to ensure timely processing.
- You must release ALL your scores to New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine, using the school code 2486. Score reports are received electronically.
- NYITCOM will accept the traditional TOEFL iBT test, taken at a test center, the TOEFL iBT Home Edition test, or the TOEFL iBT Paper Edition.
- NYITCOM will not accept the TOEFL Essentials Test.
- NYITCOM does not waive the TOEFL score requirement, even if you have a U.S. degree, have taken the USMLE, have an ECFMG certificate or your education was taught in English.
- Achieving the minimum accepted score does not guarantee an interview.
- If you do not meet the required score, you must retake the TOEFL until you meet the minimum requirement of 90 or higher. NYITCOM does not accept the MyBest score. Applicants must achieve a minimum of 90 on the individual test to meet the minimum requirement.
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (LOR)
Two (2) letters of recommendation are required. They must be less than two years old at the time of application. Please have your recommenders email their letters as attachments (PDF format only) directly to email@example.com. Please note that letters from friend, family or colleagues will not satisfy the letter of recommendation requirements. Letters must be dated, written on official letterhead and signed by the recommender. The subject line should state your full name, as entered on your EPP online application (Example: “LOR: David Singh”).
RESUME OR CURRICULUM VITAE
- All employment experiences, as well as volunteer, clinical, academic, research, and leadership experiences, should be included with a brief description.
- If there is a period of time where you were not employed or engaged in a professional activity, the dates must be included with an explanation of your activity during that time. There should be no gaps of time in the resume.
- Experiences should be listed in chronological order, beginning with the most recent.
- All education should be listed in chronological order, beginning with the most recent.
NYITCOM conducts a holistic review of all applicants, which considers other factors beyond academics, including the following:
- U.S. shadowing experiences with D.O.s and M.D.s
- Volunteer and work experience in the healthcare field
- Leadership experience
- Research, clinical experience, publications
- Global health experience
- Rural and underserved population experience