Émigré Application Requirements
Admission Requirements for the Entering Class of 2021
- Must be born outside the U.S. and be a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident at the time of application (Green Card should expire after graduation date). Visa holders are not eligible to apply.
- Must possess a valid Foreign Medical Degree from an accredited university equivalent to the M.D. degree in the United States.
- Must complete the Émigré Physicians Program Application online and submit the nonrefundable $195 application fee.
- To complete the application requirements, you must submit a course-by-course evaluation, TOEFL, letters of recommendation, and a resume or curriculum vitae.
- Applicants invited for an onsite interview are required to take an Entrance Examination.
- An international and U.S. Criminal Background Check from all countries lived in is required prior to acceptance.
- Must accept the NYITCOM Technical Standards prior to matriculation.
An official course-by-course evaluation of your educational credentials must be submitted from either of the following evaluation services directly to NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine:
- World Education Services, Inc.
Have WES send the evaluation electronically to NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Globe Language Services, Inc.
Request that Globe email the evaluation to email@example.com.
NYITCOM only accepts evaluations from these two evaluation services, and they are subject to approval by the Admissions Committee. The evaluation must state that the applicant possesses a valid foreign medical degree from an accredited university equivalent to the M.D. degree in the United States.
A TOEFL iBT (internet-based) exam score of 90 or higher is required for all applicants. TOEFL results must be less than two years old at the time of application. Please schedule your test date at least two months prior to the application deadline to ensure timely processing.
- You must release ALL your scores to New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine, using the school code 2486. Score reports are received electronically.
- NYITCOM will accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test for applicants taking the TOEFL in spring 2020.
- NYITCOM does not waive the TOEFL score requirement, even if you have a U.S. degree.
- Achieving the minimum accepted score does not guarantee an interview.
- If you do not meet the required score, you must retake the TOEFL until you meet the minimum requirement of 90 or higher. NYITCOM does not accept the MyBest score. Applicants must achieve a minimum of 90 on the individual test to meet the minimum requirement.
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (LOR)
Two letters of recommendation are required. They must be less than two years old at the time of application. Please have your recommenders email their letters as attachments (PDF format only) directly to firstname.lastname@example.org on official stationary with their signature. The subject line should state your full name, as entered on your EPP online application (Example: “LOR: Donald Khan”).
Please Note: The letters should be sent after your online application has been submitted, so that we can match your letters with your application.
- At a minimum, one letter should be from a D.O. or M.D. experience in the U.S.
- One should be from a recent work, research, clinical or academic experience.
NYITCOM conducts a holistic review on all applicants, which considers other factors beyond academics, including the following:
- U.S. shadowing experiences with D.O.s and M.D.s
- Volunteer and work experience in the healthcare field
- Leadership experience
- Research, clinical experience, publications
- Global health experience
- Rural and underserved population experience