Minimum Computer Requirements
All students attending New York Tech are required to own or have access to a Windows or Apple desktop or laptop with a camera. (We don't recommend using a Chromebook, iPad, or Android tablet as your primary device.) New York Tech students are eligible for discounts offered by Dell and Apple. This computer must have reliable connectivity to the Internet and an installed, current version of Microsoft Office.Please review the Software Downloads page for Microsoft Office and other software available for enrolled New York Tech students.
Your computer must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Core i5 processor (PC or Mac)
- 16GB RAM (memory)
- 256 GB SSD ( solid-state drive) Hard disk storage
- Current versions of operating systems (currently Windows 10 for PC and OS 10.14 or later for Mac)
In order to fully participate in New York Tech’s offerings we also require your computer set-up include the following:
- One of these browsers: Edge, Firefox, or Chrome
- Up-to-date antivirus (AV) software: Sophos Home Free will protect against viruses, malware, ransomware, privacy invasions, and more, and it includes always-on antivirus, parental web filtering, and remote
- A webcam, microphone, and headphones for your device
- Many laptops have integrated webcams and microphones. If you have a desktop and are in need of a good web camera, we suggest the Logitech C920 webcam or an equivalent.
- If you have a laptop with a camera, we suggest you invest in a good headset with a microphone so that you can actively participate in synchronous online coursework. We suggest the Logitech H390 headset or equivalent.
- Reliable Internet access of 5Mb/s or better (per user if shared). We recommend one of the following free/low-cost Internet access options:
- Microsoft Office: All New York Tech students have access to Microsoft Office while you are a student. Please review the Software Downloads page for Microsoft Office and other software available for enrolled New York Tech students.
- Zoom: All New York Tech have students access to Zoom. Get more information.
Please note: These are the minimum requirements and if you plan to enroll in classes or programs with specific computing needs, you should work with your academic department to identify additional needs.
If you have questions about this or any other recommendations, please contact Service Central at 516.686.1400 or email@example.com.