Center for Teaching and Learning
The Center for Teaching and Learning supports faculty members in their work as teacher-scholars by incorporating evidence-based practices and cultivating reflective practice. We assist faculty members in providing our students with a career-oriented, forward-looking education that prepares them to succeed in a global economy and an increasingly technological world. We pay particular attention to how social, linguistic, and cultural diversity both affects and enriches the student experience.
We build partnerships across campus, recognizing that together we can achieve goals we cannot reach individually. We strive to build a fully-engaged community—a community of scholars, a community of learners, a community of professionals working together to give our students the best education possible.
- Provide resources and support to faculty who want to create innovative, engaging teaching and learning experiences.
- Assist faculty in designing programs and courses using strategies that have been proven to be effective.
- Provide leadership and assistance in articulating a vision of effective teaching at NYIT.
- Foster faculty career success.
We provide an extensive range of services, including:
- Design, development and evaluation of instruction (face-to-face, blended, online)
- Curriculum design/redesign – to comply with accreditation standards, or for online or blended course delivery
- Identification and assessment of student learning outcomes
- Developing rubrics
- Formative evaluation of teaching (confidential classroom observations and consultations are available upon request)
- Interpreting and using the summative feedback you receive
- Portfolio development for career advancement
- Classroom research and the scholarship of teaching and learning
- Networking on campus: locating people who share your interest in and commitment to effective instruction and student learning
- Access to print, electronic and other resources about teaching and learning
- Campus collaborations through faculty learning communities
- Provide opportunities for joint instructional or scholarly projects
- Consultation on preparing grant proposals related to instruction
- Identifying forums for publication of project results and professional conferences focused on teaching and learning
- Creating an environment in which you can reflect about your teaching and the enhancement of your professional skills