Department of Environmental Technology & Sustainability
Message from the Chair
Environmental technology and sustainability is a specialized area of study that brings together the many aspects of engineering, environmental science, sustainability, ecology, law, pollution prevention, climate change, contamination mitigation, and technology needed in today’s modern world. You will learn to understand and apply the best methods and practices used in environmental systems for air, water, and waste. The technologies and practices presented in the program are the foundation of all modern efforts aimed at improving environmental conditions and advancing sustainability goals.
Why Choose This Area of Study at NYIT
- A total of 30 credits including a 6-credit audit or design thesis project selected by each student in consultation with a faculty advisor.
- Over 20 electives from which to choose.
- Concentrations in: water resources; environmental compliance; climate change; and sustainable technology.
- Evening courses offered at the Long Island and New York City campuses and online to accommodate working professionals.
- All faculty are professionals with extensive hands-on experience.
- Come to earn a degree. Go on to protect the planet.
Audit or Design Thesis Projects
Some recent student projects include:
- Cloud Computing, Server, Virtualization and Carbon Emissions
- Environmental Degradation through Toy Production and Manufacturing
- Carbon Dioxide Capture and Elimination from Automobiles
- Long Island Carbon Footprint Project
- Greenhouse Gas Accounting – Transportation Sector
- Introducing Offshore Wind Power to the Caribbean
- Soil and Groundwater Remediation Technologies
- Field Screening Methods at Environmental Remediation Sites.
- Arsenic Removal in Drinking Water in New Jersey: Treatment Technique and Its Design
- Contaminated Water Remediation Using Nano-Technology
Research and Development
Students, faculty members, and institute personnel collaborate on projects addressing the needs of industry and government, including serving on the New York State Drinking Water Quality Council and addressing urban infrastructure along with the food-energy-water nexus on a multinational committee.
Our wastewater treatment facility provides hands-on learning as well as research opportunities for faculty and students. Research at this facility for the 2018-2019 academic year includes biological nutrient removal methods, capturing energy from effluent, and imaging using drone technology.
Our space in the new Bioengineering Laboratory provides multidisciplinary research opportunities with faculty from Biological and Chemical Sciences. Environmental Technology and Sustainability faculty will work on research projects including biofilm development for water treatment and virtual reality for safety engineering.
Our graduates are employed at all levels of government including:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection
- New York City Department of Environmental Conservation
- Long Island Railroad
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
Consulting, construction and manufacturing organizations look to our graduates for state-of-the-art sustainable and environmental technology best practice applications.
David Nadler, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Environmental Technology and Sustainability
David Nadler, Department Chair
Harry Schure Hall, room 226C
Annie Hwang, Administrative Assistant