New York Tech Alerts
Last Updated March 24, 2020
Effective Monday, March 23, all suspended in-person classes will resume remotely through the end of the spring 2020 semester. Information and links to resources for students and faculty/staff can be found at nyit.edu/covid.
The New York City campus will be closed, beginning Wednesday, March 25, until further notice. Long Island Campus Access Policy updates can be found at nyit.edu/alerts.
Rights and Responsibilities of Students with Disabilities
A. Student Rights
- Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, NYIT students with a documented disability have a right to reasonable accommodations, which provides an equal opportunity to participate in all programs of the college if they are otherwise qualified for the program. The coordinator of Accessibility Services, instructors, other college personnel, and the students work together to determine and provide appropriate accommodations.
- NYIT students with a disability have the right to fair and equal treatment by instructors and other college personnel in receiving appropriate accommodations.
- NYIT students with a disability have the right to appeal decisions made concerning the accommodations that are deemed appropriate for them.
- Students have the responsibility to meet with OAS staff and with their instructors to arrange appropriate accommodations.
- Students have the responsibility to remind instructors of pre-arranged testing accommodations to ensure that these accommodations will be provided.
- Students scheduled to complete tests outside of the classroom through the Office of Accessibility Services are responsible for scheduling a testing time five business days in advance with OAS staff.
- Students must return all equipment and materials checked out from OAS at the end of the current semester before leaving campus. Failure to return borrowed equipment will result in the loss of the right to use the services and may result in financial charges.
- Students are required to meet all technical standards of their academic department.
- Students are required to follow the NYIT Student Code of Conduct and the Academic Integrity Policy of the College.
- Students are responsible for becoming familiar with all OAS policies and procedures.
Sign the Rights and Responsibilities Form