NYIT Fitness Center Policies and Procedures
The mission of the Department of Athletics and Recreation at NYIT is to provide recreational, social, and educational enrichment opportunities through quality programs and services. These policies and procedures have been adopted to protect all users' right of access to the facility, to ensure the health, peace, and safety of all guests and staff, and to protect resources from damage.
The Recreation Center’s Fitness Center is for the use of currently enrolled students, professional development students, faculty and staff of the University.
- Appropriate closed-toe footwear is mandatory. No bare feet, sandals, slippers, water shoes, or heeled shoes. The Fitness Center staff reserves the right to judge the acceptability of footwear.
- Shirts must be worn at all times. Full length t-shirts and tank tops are acceptable. Bare midriffs are not allowed.
- Jeans (full length or cut-off) or pants with belts or exposed metal that may result in damage to equipment upholstery will not be allowed in the Fitness Center.
- To protect the equipment and maintain hygienic conditions, all participants are asked to wipe down all machines after usage. Sanitary wipes dispensers are located throughout the facility.
- Coats, books, bags, etc., cannot be left near exercise equipment or carried throughout the Fitness Center.
- All personal belongings must be checked-in at the Fitness Center desk or placed in a Fitness Center cubby. NYIT will not be responsible for personal articles left in the Fitness Center.
General Fitness Center Policies
- Food and beverages are prohibited except closed, plastic containers of water.
- Children under the age of 16 are prohibited in the Fitness Center at any time.
- Profanity, abusive language, or flagrant behavior will not be tolerated. Persistent use of such behavior, deemed unacceptable by the Fitness Center staff, will result in forfeiture of utilization privileges.
- Chewing gum and sunflowers seeds are not permitted.
- Smoking and other tobacco products are prohibited.
- Please do not spit on the Rec Center floor.
- Damaged or defective equipment should be reported immediately to the Fitness Center staff.
- Please do not remove any signage from damaged or defective equipment.
- Please limit working out in groups to a maximum of five people so that everyone can enjoy the Fitness Center.
Proper utilization of resistance machines is required. Fitness Center staff can only provide guidance for the correct use of all equipment and machines. The staff cannot provide exercise prescription. The Fitness Center staff can provide information about programs offered through the Recreation Center.
General Equipment Policies
- Fitness Center equipment is not permitted to leave the Fitness Center at any time.
- Outside fitness equipment is not permitted in the Fitness Center. This includes, but is not limited to, jump ropes, cable attachments, head harnesses and dip/pull-up belts.
- Although not provided by the Fitness Center staff, lifting gloves/straps and lifting belts (without chains) are permitted in the facility.
Resistance (Plate Loaded and Selectorized) Equipment
a8 Do not drop the weight stack. Use smooth motions; do not jerk the weights. * Weight belts are not to be worn on equipment that when properly used would involve the belt coming into contact with the equipment upholstery. * Warm up and cool down exercises are recommended. * Avoid resting on machines between sets. Please allow other participants to "work in" between sets.
- Users may be required to sign a waiting list for each individual machine.
- Please limit your workout to 30 minutes during peak usage times. When people are waiting, machines must be forfeited to the next user at the end of the 30 minutes.
- Please wipe down equipment after use with the disinfectant and cleaning towels provided. Please do not spray disinfectant directly on the display panels.
- Orientation sessions are recommended for those unfamiliar with the Fitness Center and/or its equipment. Free Fitness Center Orientations are available any time during regular operating hours (confirm availability with Fitness Center Staff).
If you have any questions or concerns, please inform the staff on duty or leave a note for the Fitness Coordinator. Serious consideration will be given to all suggestions.
The Fitness Center staff reserves the right to judge the level of acceptability on all policies and procedures.