Honorary Degree Recipients Selection Process
Faculty and senior administrators are solicited to submit candidates. Included in the submission are initial details of the candidate’s qualifications and his/her connection to NYIT.
Biographies of the candidates are prepared by the Office of Strategic Communications and External Affairs (SCEA) and submitted to the President and the Board of Trustees for review.
Candidates are selected by the Board of Trustees.
A letter of invitation is sent by the President.
Once the offer is accepted, Strategic Communications and External Affairs works directly with the recipient to manage their experience. NYIT will cover the cost of the recipients’ accommodations and local transportation expenses related to their participation in commencement.
Honorary Degree Recipient (HDR) candidates should meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Be a well-known leader in his/her individual field of expertise.
- Be a notable contributor to society, higher education, or the university.
- Have distinguished achievements both relevant and appropriate to NYIT’s academic programs.
- Have notable interests that align themselves with NYIT’s mission or vision.
The following is to be included with each submission:
- A brief letter of nomination, summarizing the candidate’s qualifications –not to exceed 150 words.
- Candidate’s contact information, including address, telephone/fax number, and email address.
- A brief explanation of your direct or extended relationship, if any, with the nominee.