Updated at 12:00pm on April 7, 2020
NYITCOM is doing its part to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. We recognize the declaration of the state of emergency by Governor Cuomo and the interim guidance for higher education by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. We are asking everyone in our community to do their part to keep our communities safe. With the health and safety of everyone at NYITCOM as our first priority, we have suspended all in-person classes for our Long Island campuses, effective March 10, 2020.
Please continue to review the NYIT Coronavirus Updates page at https://www.nyit.edu/medicine/health_updates for University wide updates.
NYITCOM realizes that this disruption in the semester is stressful on everyone. We will continue to provide you with the most up to date information we have available. Our Corona Virus Task Force continues to be in regular contact with all appropriate agencies and we will continue to follow local public health recommendations. We thank you for continuing to demonstrate that resiliency and can-do-it attitude of the makers, doers, innovators and healers at New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Campus Access Policy
To continue to ensure the safety of our community, the following campus access policy is in effect until further notice. All NYITCOM campus employees, faculty and staff, are to work remotely. Students, including student workers, should NOT come to campus. Please note that NYIT, in adherence with NYS guidelines, will continue to allow LIMITED campus access (between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday thru Friday) for essential functions as authorized by the New York State Governor's Executive Orders, which include:
- Academic Health Care Center operations
- Campus safety services, including security
- Essential support for remote educational services to students
- Essential facilities and equipment maintenance and cleaning of occupied areas
- Essential financial services, including payroll and accounting
- Necessary mail collection
- Essential maintenance of laboratory research
Any faculty or staff member whose work requires them to come to the Long Island campus for any of the reasons set forth above must receive prior permission from Executive Leadership, who will provide a daily list to Security. Moving forward the process will be as follows:
- For the beginning of each week, the request must be submitted in writing on the Friday of the week prior
- Requests for entry should be emailed to Orlando Ortiz-Romero at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc'd to your department's supervisor or chair
- The email must contain the following information:
- Department, Name, Phone, Email, Building(s) where access is requested, Dates Access is requested
All individuals coming on campus will come in through Main Campus Drive and check in with security. Please have your NYIT photo ID with you. Please note, campus access will be monitored and therefore please review the Campus Entry Protocol posted on the NYIT website at: https://www.nyit.edu/medicine/health_updates
Corona Virus Updates & FAQs - Symptoms and Precautions
Please see the NYIT COVID portal at https://www.nyit.edu/covid
Academic Health Care Centers
New York Tech's health care centers are available to address your medical needs while you are working or studying from home. You can now schedule appointments to meet remotely with our medical providers via "TeleHealth" (virtual medical appointments). Services offered via TeleHealth include: Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Mental Health, Sports Medicine, and Ehrlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS).
Just follow these three easy steps:
- Please call us to schedule an appointment:
- Provide some initial information (including your email address) so we can enable your access to our patient portal.
- Once you have set up your appointment, you will receive instructions on how to access our portal at nyit.edu/nyithealth or download the Healow app to complete your televisit appointment at your scheduled date and time.
The NYITCOM Medical Library continues to be closed until further notice. While the library is physically closed, most library resources are available online at http://www.nyit.edu/library/medicine. There is a guide available for accessing library resources: https://libguides.nyit.edu/remoteaccess.
Our librarians are available to assist and may be contacted through email. If you would like a zoom meeting scheduled, please email and an appropriate time will be arranged.
Information for Students
All classes will continue via remote learning environments (such as online and video-conferencing classes) through at least the end of the spring 2020 semester. Please check your email and Piazza for information from Academic Affairs.
At this time, all NYIT sponsored in-person group gatherings are cancelled or postponed until further notice. We have moved many student events to a virtual format, please continue to check all NYITCOM communications for information and meeting links.
After multiple conversations with our hospital partners, NYITCOM has cancelled all remaining rotations for the class of 2021 which involve patient care. Participating hospitals have been informed of this decision, which has been in effect since March 16, 2020.
CLASS OF 2020- Students who wish to remain on rotations may complete them as scheduled. In the event you opt to switch to online learning you will need to complete one on-line module so as to earn the required credits for graduation. Clinical Education will reach out regarding accessing the modules and expectations for completion.
CLASS OF 2021- Please refer to all emails from Clinical Education for information
Information for Faculty and Staff
All classes will continue via remote learning environments (such as online and video-conferencing classes) through at least the end of the spring 2020 semester. All NYIT faculty and staff are to work remotely. Please see Campus Access Policy above for instructions regarding gaining emergency access to campus during this time.
Please note the following until futher notice:
- All work-related air travel is suspended
- Business travel in the US is at your discretion and should be discussed with your supervisor.
- If you are traveling for leisure please review CDC guidelines and adhere to them strictly, including self-quarantine, if indicated.
To centralize your technology questions, ATG has launched a Samange Technical Support portal. Please visit www.nyit.edu/atghelp and log in with your NYIT credentials.
- Zoom Accounts – please email email@example.com to request a pro account if you are hosting meetings longer than 40 minutes. Zoom includes features that allow for virtual waiting rooms and tools to collaborate during a live session.
- Please see the 4/3/20 Zoom Update email from ATG for new updates to increase the security of your account
- Office 365 is available for download, NYIT provides up to 5 licenses for personal devices.
- “Resources” section has been added to the “Knowledge Base” on Samanage. Here you can find links to frequently visited COM websites and resources.
- Have some extra time on your hands and want to keep your mind sharp? Log into LinkedIn Learning for unlimited access to an on-demand library of high-quality instructional videos covering a vast range of software, business and creative skills. You can access LinkedIn Learning from your LinkedIn profile and with the LinkedIn Learning app on a mobile device
- Thumb drives, external hard drives and loaner laptops are available at ATG upon request and manager approval – Rockefeller, Room 301
- If you wish to pre-record any lectures please contact ATG at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail Delivery and Package Pickup
All mail delivery, including packages, are being held at Simonson House. The mailroom is accessible from 9am – 5pm Monday through Friday. If there is no one to assist you please ask Campus Security for assistance. For large, outgoing UPS shipments, please send a request to email@example.com to request arrangements for pickup. Please note that due to staffing and campus access limitations we are requesting 2 days notice for pick up. If you have a large delivery for which you need assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org