Human Resource Management
NYIT partners with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer two HR courses:
- SHRM Learning System® course as preparation for certification as SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP ®) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP®).
- SHRM®; Essentials of Human Resource Management course for managers and HR specialists.
Earn the Standard in HR Certification!
Now, more than ever, HR teams are required to assume a greater leadership role, contributing to the strategic direction of their organization. The HR profession is no longer just about what you know—but how you do your job.
Establish yourself as a globally-recognized human resource expert by earning the standard in HR certification: SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP®) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP®). These professional certifications can open doors for professional advancement, serve to harmonize standards with changing expectations and signal to employers advanced professional development. They reflect what HR practitioners need to know to be leaders in their organizations and in the profession.
Ensure you're prepared with NYIT SHRM Learning System course, designed for SHRM credential candidates. Expand and test your knowledge and practical, real-life competencies in areas critical for HR career success. Find out more about SHRM certification.
Commit to Your Career
SHRM's global HR credentials, SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP, offer growth, advancement, and recognition. These credentials are based on extensive global research involving employers, academics, and practicing HR professionals at all levels to ensure they maintain an industry-leading level of excellence and relevance in this ever-evolving profession.
By becoming SHRM certified, you prove your knowledge, competency, and value to colleagues and to employers looking for a competitive edge in today's global economy. Wherever your career takes you, your SHRM certification will define you as an HR expert and leader.
Ensure you're prepared with our course designed for SHRM credential candidates. Expand and test your knowledge with practical, real-life competencies in areas critical for HR career success.
This intensive 39-hour program combines expert instruction with the 2018 SHRM Learning System®, so you will learn faster, retain more knowledge, and stay on track for success on the exam.
Schedule of Classes
XMGT-016 HR Professional Certification Examination Preparation
- Manhattan: Section XMGT-016-M01
Meets Mondays, September 17 – December 10, plus December 4th
6 – 9 p.m.
- Old Westbury: Section XMGT-016-W01
Meets Tuesdays, September 11 – December 11
6 – 9 p.m.
- Old Westbury: Section XMGT-016-W02
Meets Saturdays, October 6 – December 15
9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
How to Register
NOTE: If you are an SHRM member or NYIT Alumni, please select the class section that has an "S" in it, in order to receive your discount.
Tuition: $1290; or $1240 for alumni and SHRM members. The price includes the SHRM Learning system and access to web-based practice exam.
As part of your course, you will receive the SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP. The SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP includes four modules covering the comprehensive 2018 SHRM BoCK (SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge) so you'll learn everything you need for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP exam.
- NYIT has been educating HR professionals for over 35 years.
- Courses are taught by experienced, certified instructors who are HR professional with senior management experience and are focused on facilitating your exam preparation.
- The SHRM Learning System has historically been ranked the #1 HR certification prep tool, helping you to acquire the knowledge and understand the behavioral competencies to prepare for the exam
- We provide a structured learning experience that keeps you on track and gives you the opportunity to network and learn from your peers.
- We offer up to 36 professional development credits (PDCs).
- As a value-added feature, we offer two review sessions on knowledge-based questions and situational judgment questions.
- If you do not pass your certification exam, you may attend our class the following semester for only a $225 re-registration fee, provided you still have the necessary materials.
- Four learning modules that provide an in-depth exploration of the topics within the 2018 updated SHRM BoCK.
- Sections on "competencies in action" are interspersed throughout learning modules to highlight how competencies apply to particular topic areas.
- Study using printed books or download material to an e-reader. You can access the SHRM Learning system by PC, laptop, mobile device, or e-reader.
- Test bank with more than 1,000 questions that test your situational judgment, knowledge and comprehension.
- Download flashcards (printed or online).
- 150 SHRM-CP and 150 SHRM-SCP situational judgment questions.
- Experienced instructors.
- Extra review class offered to registrants.
The course is available in a 39-hour classroom-based format. Classroom-based courses meet once a week on one of NYIT's convenient Long Island or Manhattan campuses. They are taught by experienced and skilled instructors who have successfully guided several hundred individuals through their certification exams.
Receive a certificate of completion from SHRM and NYIT for attending the SHRM Learning System. Those who successfully complete the course receive a "Certificate of Completion" for Human Resource Management from SHRM and NYIT. This course can also be used for recertification credit; it has been pre-approved for 36 SHRM PDC credits.
Eligibility Requirements and Exam Information
The SHRM certification preparation course is designed primarily for individuals seeking SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification.
The SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP Certification Handbook describes the new SHRM exam process with various items such as preparing for the exam and eligibility requirements. Keep in mind that eligibility has changed and your HR experience may be in an HR exempt or nonexempt capacity.
Advancing your career. For those not seeking certification, the SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP course provides a comprehensive and accelerated option for professional development. Participants gain a generalist viewpoint, refresh key ideas and concepts, strengthen their understanding of core HR competencies and increase productivity.
Instructors for SHRM Learning System classes
Monday evening classes in Manhattan will be taught by William Ninehan. Professor Ninehan is Director of HR Program Development and is on the faculty of NYIT's Center for Human Resource Studies, where he teaches graduate and undergraduate HR courses and the SHRM Learning System course. He holds an Ed.S. degree in Human and Organizational Learning from The George Washington University, and SPHR, GPHR, and California certifications. He has been an item writer for the GPHR certification exam.
Tuesday evening classes in Old Westbury will be taught by Shannon Mashburn, and Joe Libertelli. Shannon Mashburn, MS, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, is the Director of Human Resources for Alcott HR, where she is responsible for overseeing a team of HR professionals who implement onboarding and time and attendance technology, benefits, payroll and HR compliance services in line with their client's strategic objectives. Shannon obtained her MS degree from SUNY Stony Brook in Human Resource Management, and has obtained both the SPHR and SHRM-SCP designation. Joe Libertelli, MBA, MA, SPHR, has over 20 years of HR/Labor experience, on both sides of the table. He is presently the Vice President of Human Resources for Catholic Health Services of Long Island responsible for Mercy Medical Center. He earned a Master of Arts (MA) Degree in Labor/Policy and a Master's of Business Administration (MBA) Degree in Management and Leadership and is a SPHR and SHRM-SCP.
Saturday classes in Old Westbury will be taught by Deirdre Duke. Deirdre Duke, RN, M.S.N, JD, L.L.M. is currently employed as the Corporate Director of HR Programs for the North Shore-LIJ Health System. She has 18 years of healthcare HR experience in generalist, leadership and legal roles. After a successful nursing career, Deirdre earned law degrees from St. John's University and Touro School of Law, and practiced at two Long Island law firms prior to entering the Human Resources profession. She holds SPHR, CCP, CBP and coaching certifications.
The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval. For more information, visit www.hrci.org.