Human Resource Management
New York Institute of Technology partners with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer the SHRM Learning System (XMT-016) and SHRM Essentials in Human Resources (XHRC-801).
Earn the Standard in HR Certification! Set Yourself Apart from the Competition!
Now, more than ever, HR teams are required to assume a greater leadership role, contributing to the strategic direction of their organization. The HR profession is no longer just about what you know—but how you do your job.
Establish yourself as a globally-recognized human resource expert by earning the standard in HR certification: SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP®) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP®). These professional certifications can open doors for professional advancement, serve to harmonize standards with changing expectations, and signal to employers advanced professional development. They reflect what HR practitioners need to know to be leaders in their organizations and in the profession.
“When I originally signed up to take the SHRM test, I was convinced that I could study on my own. But at the urging of colleagues, I signed up for the SHRM Test Prep class at New York Tech and it was the best decision I made.
“The test covers an overwhelming amount of material, which the class helps break down into manageable study sections, showing how each section connects to one another with recurring themes. The teachers are very entertaining and knowledgeable, and framed the test concepts with real life examples that made the material easier to digest and remember. When it came to studying sample test questions, the class definitely helped identify what SHRM was looking for in each question; something I would not have been able to figure out on my own. Beyond test prep, the class provided a community environment of HR professionals where I was able to form relationships and business contacts that will benefit me throughout the rest of my career. I definitely recommend this class to anyone who is looking to take the SHRM CP or SCP.”
– Kristyn M. Lang, ACC | HR Specialist at Portnoy, Messinger, Pearl & Associates, Inc.
Ensure you're prepared with New York Tech SHRM Learning System course, designed for SHRM credential candidates. Expand and test your knowledge and practical, real-life competencies in areas critical for HR career success. Find out more about SHRM certification.
Commit to Your Career
This intensive 39-hour program combines expert instruction with the 2024 SHRM Learning System®, so you will learn faster, retain more knowledge, and stay on track for success on the exam.
If you take advantage of using the remote proctor exam option you can safely take the SHRM Certification exam from home. Remote proctoring is a convenient and reliable alternative to taking your exam at a Prometric test center.
Schedule of Classes
MEETS ON ZOOM: XMGT-016-M01/M01S
- Mondays, February 5 – May 20
(No class February 19, April 1 and April 22)
6 – 9 p.m.
Students may register up to two weeks after class starts.
EARLY BIRD PRICE
For those registering up to and including February 2:
XMGT-016-M01 = $1349
XMGT-016-M01s = $1299 (discount of $50 for SHRM members and New York Tech alumni)
For those registering February 2 and after:
XMGT-016-M11 = $1399
XMGT-016-M12 = $1349 (discount of $50 for SHRM members and New York Tech alumni)
NOTE: If you are an SHRM member or New York Tech Alumni, please select the class section that has an "S" in it, in order to receive your discount.
- New York Tech has been educating HR professionals for over 35 years.
- Courses are taught by experienced, certified instructors who are HR professional with senior management experience and are focused on facilitating your exam preparation.
- The SHRM Learning System has historically been ranked the #1 HR certification prep tool, helping you to acquire the knowledge and understand the behavioral competencies to prepare for the exam.
- From 2014 to 2019, New York Tech has been awarded Top 20 Representative of the SHRM Learning System®.
- We provide a structured learning experience that keeps you on track and gives you the opportunity to network and learn from your peers.
- We offer up to 36 professional development credits (PDCs).
- As a value-added feature, we offer two review sessions on knowledge-based questions and situational judgment questions.
- If you do not pass your certification exam, you may attend our class the following semester for only a $225 re-registration fee, provided you still have the necessary materials.
- Four learning modules that provide an in-depth exploration of the topics within the updated SHRM BASK®.
- Sections on "competencies in action" are interspersed throughout learning modules to highlight how competencies apply to particular topic areas.
- Study using printed books or download material to an e-reader. You can access the SHRM Learning system by PC, laptop, mobile device, or e-reader.
- Test bank with more than 2,500 questions that test your situational judgment, knowledge, and comprehension.
- Download flashcards (printed or online).
- 150 SHRM-CP and 150 SHRM-SCP situational judgment questions.
- Two Complimentary review classes for registrants in body of knowledge and situation judgment questions.
- Extra review class offered to registrants.
- The course is available in a 39-hour classroom-based format. Classroom-based courses meet once a week on one of New York Tech's convenient Long Island or New York City campuses (Monday class offered via Zoom).
- These classes are taught by experienced and skilled instructors who have successfully guided several hundred individuals through their certification exams.
Need Funding or Approval
Pursuing your career goals can be particularly challenging right now. To help support you, here are a few ideas for funding your certification journey.
- Check with your employer to see if funding options, such as tuition reimbursement, are available.
- Request from firstname.lastname@example.org our "Approach Your Boss" toolkit to help get the conversation started.
- Take advantage of $50 discount for being a SHRM member or New York Tech Alumni.
Interested in training your team?
Ask about volume discounts or offering a program at your location. Contact Patricia Brustman at 516.686.7722 or email email@example.com.
Those who successfully complete the course receive a "Certificate of Completion" for Human Resource Management from SHRM and New York Tech. This course can also be used for recertification credit; it has been pre-approved for 36 SHRM PDC for anyone already SHRM-certified.
Who Should Enroll in This Course?
The SHRM certification preparation course is designed primarily for individuals seeking SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification.
The following general eligibility criteria, listed below, also apply:
- Applicants must show that they have worked in an HR role for more than 1,000 hours within a calendar year, which equates to one year of experience.
- Individuals who perform HR duties and wish to verify, validate, enhance and/or expand their HR capabilities are likely candidates for SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification.
- SHRM membership is not required for eligibility and individuals need not be employed at the time they apply.
- The SHRM-CP certification is for individuals that perform general HR/HR-related duties; or for those pursuing a career in Human Resource Management.
- The SHRM-SCP certification is for individuals that have a work history of at least 3 years performing strategic level HR/HR-related duties; or for SHRM-CP credential holders who have held the credential for at least 3 years and are working in, or are in the process of transitioning to, a strategic level role.
- Candidates for the SHRM-CP certification are not required to hold an HR title and do not need a degree or previous HR experience to apply; however, a basic working knowledge of HR practices and principles is recommended.
For those not seeking certification, the SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP course provides a comprehensive and accelerated option for professional development. Participants gain a generalist viewpoint, refresh key ideas and concepts, strengthen their understanding of core HR competencies and increase productivity.
The SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP Certification Handbook describes the SHRM exam process with various items such as preparing for the exam and eligibility requirements.
Instructors for SHRM Learning System Classes
Monday evening: William Ninehan, SHRM-SCP, who has been teaching our New York City classes, will teach the Monday Zoom class. Professor Ninehan is Director of HR Program Development, MBA Director, and is on the faculty of New York Institute of Technology's Center for Human Resource Studies, where he teaches graduate and undergraduate HR courses and the SHRM Learning System course. He holds an Ed.S. Degree in Human and Organizational Learning from The George Washington University, and SPHR, GPHR, and PHRca certifications. He has an item writer for the GPHR certification exam. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of NYC-SHRM and Chair of the chapter's Certification Committee.