Getting a Refund
For information about refunds due to dropping, withdrawal, or dismissal, please consult the NYIT Catalog for the Withdrawal/Dismissal Refund Policy.
If NYIT owes you money from overpayment on a bill, you have the option of receiving direct deposit to an existing checking or savings account (United States bank only), a refund check, or BankMobile Vibe debit card.
- For payments by personal check, bank check, or domestic wire transfer, refunds will be issued via paper check or direct deposit.
- For payments by credit card, refunds will be issued directly to the credit card used. The credit can take anywhere from 5–7 business days to be applied to your credit card from the date the University processes it.
- For payments made through FlyWire, TransferMate or international wire transfer, refunds will be distributed to the bank and account that issued the original payment.
Requesting a Refund
Select your refund preference with BankMobile and request a refund by following these steps.
- Login to my.NYIT
- Select the NYIT CONNECT: STUDENTS tile
- Access the Finances section and select "Choose My Refund Method"
- Then request a refund by selecting "Submit Refund Request"
Note: If a credit balance is due to a personal check or ACH check, it will be subject to a 30-day hold unless proof of clearance has been provided.
In Person or via Mail or Fax:
- Download, print, and fill out a Refund Request Form (PDF).
- Return the form by mail, email, fax, or in person to the Office of the Bursar in Long Island or New York City.
From Federal Student Aid
If the total amount of Federal Student Aid—such as Pell Grant, SEOG, Direct Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized), Graduate PLUS, PLUS (parents), and Perkins loans—credited to your student account is greater than your bill, a refund will be automatically generated within 14 days in compliance with federal regulations. You may use those funds to pay for certain non-institutional expenses, such as tuition refund insurance.
- Download, print, and complete the Federal Funds Authorization Form (PDF). You can also log in to the MyNYIT Portal, go to NYITConnect, and the Grant Permissions tab to complete this.
- Return it by mail, fax, or in person to the Office of the Bursar.
Note: If a credit balance is due to a Parent PLUS Loan, it will be refunded to the parent borrower.View our BankMobile contract