Health & Wellness Resources – Spring 2022
February 9, 2022
Table of Contents
- To access campus, you must complete a daily health screen and are required to wear face coverings in classrooms and indoor areas. Please be considerate of others and comply with these requirements!
- Vaccine mandate: All New York Tech students, faculty, and staff are required to be fully vaccinated. Review information about our vaccination and testing policies here and upload your vaccination proof here to ensure compliance. Check out our White House COVID-19 Vaccine College Challenge web page for information on where to get vaccinated and ways to encourage others. We can help end this pandemic together!
- Make sure to read the regular COVID update emails from our Chief Medical Officer that offer timely and critical information about the global pandemic, ways to mitigate the spread of COVID, and campus resources.
Medical Care – On Campus and Nearby
The Academic Health Care Center on the Long Island campus is available for well-care visits, vaccinations, and COVID tests. New York City students who require medical treatment can visit CityMD, which has many locations in Manhattan.
Mental Health & Wellbeing – Office of Counseling and Wellness
At any time of year and for any reason, if you are feeling overwhelmed, stressed, or sad and need someone to talk to, New York Tech Office of Counseling and Wellness counselors are available to help. You can also attend their wellness programs, take a mental health screening, or get answers about student health insurance, immunizations, accessibility services, or submitting proof of COVID vaccine/test results. Find out about the Office of Counseling and Wellness, follow it on Instagram (@nyitcounselingandwellnessli and @nyitcounselingandwellnessnyc), and download the Bear Care COVID-19 Wellness Guide, with information about self care, mindfulness, mental health apps, and more.
Peer Health Educators (PHEs) Needed! PHEs are student leaders who work collaboratively to support health and wellness on our Long Island and New York City campuses and in the greater community through education, connection, and advocacy. This is accomplished through on-campus workshops, training, and campaigns about important issues that affect today’s society, such as stress management, mental health, body image, and more. To apply, complete the 2022-23 Student Leadership Application, due February 22.
Wellness Resource and Student Leadership Information Tabling: Thursday, February 10, 12:30 – 1:50 p.m., NYC: 1855 Broadway lobby, LI: Harry Schure Hall lobby
“Week of Love” events starting Monday, February 14:
- Weeklong “Week of Love” Instagram Campaign
- LOVE YOUR PEERS! Virtual Peer Health Educator-Student Leadership Information Session (will also be recorded): Tuesday, February 15, 12:30 – 1:50 p.m. Zoom ID: 953 3706 8314
- Sex Ed Jeopardy: ARE YOU A SEXPERT? Find out and win SWAG and gift cards (Uber Eats, Amazon, Target): Thursday, February 17, 6 – 7 p.m., Zoom ID: 924 767 62407 (NYC vs. LI)
- Self-Love Jars Tabling Event: Thursday, February 17, 12:30 – 1:50 p.m., Harry Schure Hall lobby (LI). “Grab-and-go jar to decorate and fill with self-love”
- Peer Health Educator-Student Leadership Information Social: Tuesday, February 22, 12:30 – 1:50 p.m., NYC: 26 W. 61st St., first floor / LI: Bears Den (SAC)
Anxiety Workshop: Thursday, February 24, 12:30 – 1:50 p.m., Anna Rubin Hall, co-hosted by Future Health Profession and Health Professional Club (LI)
Campus Recreation & Intramurals
Yoga, HiiT, and other recreational activities are available for all students! Join us for new recreational opportunities on both campuses and get ready to be active and practice wellness! New activities may arise throughout the semester. If you have an idea for a recreational activity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Virtual Yoga: Thursdays, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Join via Zoom: tinyurl.com/NYITYoga22
- High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): Mondays, 4 – 5 p.m., 1849 Broadway first floor, New York City campus, or via Zoom: tinyurl.com/NYITHIIT22
- Fitness Center: Open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Long Island)
- NYC CitiBike: Free CitiBike day passes are available on a weekly basis to students. Email email@example.com for yours!
- Running Club: Are you a runner or looking to get more active? Join our Running Club in the Strava Community (strava.com/clubs/nyitrunning) and participate in group runs and weekly Strava goals. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Campus-Specific Resources for Fitness, Relaxation, and More
There are many new spaces on our campuses for you to relax and unwind:
- Lounge space in Anna Rubin and Salten Halls and the Student Activities Center.
- Outdoor seating parklets in Midge Karr, the medical school and academic quads, SAC, and the “Parklet at the Pond” all feature robust WiFi access.
- Education Hall has a new state-of-the-art fabrication lab along with a library and courtyard lounge on the ground floor.
- Interfaith Prayer and Meditation Room in Harry Schure Hall room 207, is open Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 11 p.m.; Saturday – Sunday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- The Fitness Center in the SAC is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Campus walkways and paths are open for recreational purposes, and guided nature walks, with a certified forest therapist, will be offered during the semester.
- The bike share program will be introduced this semester for on-campus use!
- Lounge space is now available at 26 W. 61st St., with additional gathering space being prepared at 16 W. 61st St. and 1849 and 1855 Broadway.
- A new, larger Interfaith Prayer and Meditation Room is open in 26 W. 61st St.
- Our location near Central and Riverside Parks offer fitness opportunities, while Lincoln Center and Dante Park offer outdoor seating. Limited outdoor seating at 1855 Broadway is available during the spring, summer, and fall.
- New York Sports Club (NYSC) student memberships are back. Contact email@example.com to enroll today!
- Our campus is uniquely located among four Citibike locations, and we have additional bike storage on campus for our cycling students! Also, if carpooling is of interest, we have reduced parking rates at nearby parking lots.
- 1849 Café is now open! Pick up your grab-and-go lunch and relax in the student lounge. Vending services with healthy options are available at 1855 and at 26 W. 61st St.
Please know that New York Tech faculty and staff are here to encourage and support you and all of our students. Throughout the semester, we’ll share information about future health and wellness events and resources designed to help you succeed. Best wishes on a wonderful spring semester!
Tiffani L. Blake, M.S., Ed.M.
Assistant Provost for Student Engagement & Development