Credit for degree requirements and elective courses can be earned by achieving satisfactory scores on proficiency examinations. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DSST Subject Standardized Test (DSST) are nationally recognized proficiency exams that provide students the opportunity to demonstrate college-level knowledge and acquire credit applicable toward degree completion.
For a list of NYIT course equivalencies for these exams, please refer to the following:
Quick Information on Taking CLEP/DSST Exams
Information on finding a local test center, examination fees and suggested study material is available at the websites noted. When taking a CLEP or DSST exam, be sure to indicate NYIT’s college code as the “score recipient” to have an official report sent to us.
- CLEP offers 33 exams and charges $80 to take an exam.
- DSST offers 31 exams and charges $80 to take an exam.
- Contact local test centers directly for information on their exam schedules and testing fees.
- CLEP exams are computer-based. DSST exams are either paper- or computer-based, depending on the test center.
- Exams are typically multiple-choice and timed—1 ½ hours for CLEP and 2 hours for DSST.
- We will receive your official score report if you indicate NYIT as the "score recipient."
- If you take a CLEP or DSST exam and do not pass, it will not be noted on your NYIT transcript. However, you will have to wait three months to retake the same exam.
- Credit for CLEP and/or DSST is named as Proficiency Exam (PE) credit on NYIT transcripts.
- NYIT charges $70 per course (2015-2016) to process Proficiency Exam (PE) credit.
- All prior learning policies outlined in the NYIT Catalog apply.
Please be sure to obtain academic advisement before taking proficiency exams. Contact Katie Lyons for any assistance with the process.
Associate Director of Evaluations
Office of Prior Learning
Room 219, Gerry House, OW Campus