Smiling NYIT international student

International Student Employment

If you're attending New York Tech from another country, you're free to pursue the same on-campus employment opportunities as U.S. students.

International students may apply for Student Aid and Graduate Assistantship positions. In a student aid position, you are paid on an hourly basis. Graduate assistantships are a form of tuition remission available to qualified students enrolled in New York Tech's graduate degree programs. The amount of tuition remission is based on the number of hours worked during a semester.

F-1 and J-1 Visa Students

The Department of Homeland Security's Bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has regulations governing on-campus employment for students in F-1 and J-1 visa status.

  • F-1 and J-1 Visa status must be maintained.
  • Employment cannot exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. You may be employed full time (35 hours per week) on-campus during holidays and vacation periods, as long as you are registered for the next academic semester.

NOTE: If you work for more than one on-campus employer, the total number of hours worked from all jobs cannot exceed 20 hours per week.

The definition of on-campus employment includes:

  • Work performed for the University as the employer.
  • Work for an on-campus vendor who has a contract to provide services to students, including bookstores and food services.

Obtaining a Social Security Number

To obtain a Social Security Number (SSN), a student must have an on-campus job or an approved internship. Doing volunteer work on-campus or off-campus does not make a student eligible for an SSN.

How to obtain a social security number after finding on-campus employment:

Step 1: Get a letter from your supervisor for evidence of employment.


This letter must describe:

  • Your job and employment start date.
  • The number of hours you are or will be working.
  • Your supervisor’s name and telephone number.

STEP 2. Bring the supervisor’s letter to the Office of International Education.


They will provide a letter from your Designated School Official (DSO) that identifies you, confirms your current school status, identifies your employer and the type of work you are or will be doing.

STEP 3. Visit the Social Security Administration Office


Remember to bring the following to the SSA Office:

  • Letter from your supervisor.
  • Letter from the Office International and Experiential Education.
  • Most recent I-20.
  • Passport with visa stamp.
  • Most recent I-94.

You must apply for a social security card before starting your on-campus job. Once your application has been submitted with the above documents, you should receive your social security card within two to four weeks.

Additional Resources

See all of the resources offered to international students, including additional employment and tax information, by the Office of International Education (OIE), make an appointment with the OIE (remember to bring your F1 visa and I-20 form), and check out our New York Tech Career Guide for additional information.