An experienced and respected psychiatrist, Liat Jarkon graduated from NYITCOM in 1987 and has been in private practice for 30 years. She specializes in child, adolescent, and adult psychiatry. Jarkon trained at Zucker Hillside Hospital and Schneider Children's Hospital of Long Island Jewish Hospital (now Northwell Health). She received her M.P.H. from Columbia University prior to medical school.
In 2017, Jarkon joined the NYITCOM faculty, and played an instrumental role in launching the Center for Behavioral Health, which opened in September 2019. Jarkon now serves as the Center's director, where she has sparked efforts to speak more openly about mental health, increase awareness for mental health conditions, decrease stigma, and offer hope and solutions to members of the campus community. In addition to her roles as administrator, clinician, and teacher, Jarkon is also a researcher and mentor with a passion of promoting mental health well-being.
Recent Projects and Research
- January 2021 – Present: Dr. Jarkon serves as a news commentator for News 12 Long Island and Westchester as a mental health expert.
- February 2020 – Present: Dr. Jarkon has written articles appearing in Fortune, The DO, MD Edge, and Discover.
Professional Honors and Awards
- Nominated Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association (LFAPA)
- 2021 Power Woman of Long Island in recognition of her work for the Center for Behavioral Health
Courses Taught at New York Tech
- 3-year Clinical Psychiatry Hybrid, Course
- 4-year Telemedicine Clinical Psychiatry, Elective
- Family Medicine Pediatrics Clerkship, Behavioral Health Component