Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
Interested in a paid summer research internship at NYIT? Check out our flyer!
The NYIT REU Program will provide opportunities for 10 motivated and talented undergraduate students to collaborate with our faculty and graduate students in research on methods of securing smartphones and their networks using both hardware and software approaches (women and minority students are strongly encouraged to apply).
Undergraduates will have access to NYIT's state-of-the-art research facilities and gain valuable hands-on research experience in simulating the spread of malware on smartphones, implementing cryptographic algorithms and authentication schemes for smartphones, studying topology control of wireless networks, geolocating smartphones, detecting physical attack on a network of smartphones, and developing privacy-protected medical sensing methods using smartphones.
- Application/Recommendation deadline: February 29, 2016
- Tentative Program Dates: May 31 - August 5
- Read more about REU at the National Science Foundation >
The research projects require full-time commitment of the student (five days a week/40 hours per week). Students are not allowed to work while participating in the program. In conjunction with the requirements of the faculty advisors, all participants are required to submit a research paper, produce a research poster, and make a final presentation describing their work. Students also participate in supplemental activities including workshops, meetings, classes, field trips to enhance their program experience and preparation for graduate school.
- Citizens or permanent residents of the United States
- Enrolled full time at a college or university
- Junior or senior academic standing
- Have not already completed a B.A. or B.S. degree
- Have a 3.2 or better cumulative grade point average
- Have shown potential for success, but may have had limited access to graduate
- Research or other preparatory opportunities; the applicant should indicate his/her potential for success particularly as it relates to educational achievement while overcoming obstacles, which may include, but are not limited to: ability, economic, social, or educational challenges.
APPLICATION MATERIALS AND PROCEDURES
- Completed online application form
Resume and Statement of Purpose, emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
(The statement of purpose should be 500-600 words and include a brief introduction of yourself, work experience, projects or research you did as an undergraduate, and the projects you have interest in)
- Two letters of recommendation using the NYIT Recommendation Form, mailed separately
- Official copy of your current academic transcript, mailed separately
Mail all materials to:
NYIT REU Program
New York Institute of Technolog
New York, NY, 10023
Connect with us
For more information, please contact Dr. Ziqian (Cecilia) Dong at email@example.com or 646.273.6129.