Graphic Design & 3-D Animation/Game Design
Take your digital art portfolio to the next level in this intensive, creative workshop. Guided by our distinguished faculty members, you’ll get hands-on experience with the latest technologies in state-of-the-art facilities. Gain insights into art, design, and technology while exploring techniques of visual communication and producing portfolio-ready artwork.
We offer three one-week programs. Take one, two, or all three courses, and earn one academic credit per week upon acceptance into one of our digital art and design programs!
Our program includes:
- Portfolio-ready artwork under the guidance of the Digital Art & Design Department’s faculty
- Exposure to the digital art and design industry through a site visit to a professional design studio in New York City as well as guest critiques from industry professionals.
- An immersive academic experience of the graphic design and digital arts majors at New York Institute of Technology’s Department of Digital Art & Design.
- One New York Tech college credit per week of attendance.
Week 1: Brand Yourself!
Graphic design, 3-D printing, photography, illustration, and typography.
- Conceptualize and use visual language to communicate ideas clearly and effectively.
- Merge traditional and digital tools to create powerful design solutions utilizing 3-D printing, die-cutting, photography, illustration, and typography.
- Design a logo and overall identity for a potential client or for yourself after visiting a professional design studio in New York City.
Returning Brand Yourself Students:
Returning students will have the opportunity to work with the faculty to advance their graphic design skills and develop a new brand identity. They will incorporate an Editorial Layout for a magazine and/or 3D package design.
Week 2: Create Motion! (Basic)
3-D modeling and animation, game design, and motion capture. Collaborate in production teams to explore the complex workflow and dynamic interactivity of 3-dimensional games.
- Capture live motion through the use of our 3-D motion capture studio and incorporate the demonstration model into your games.
- Learn how to animate and edit those movements using Autodesk Maya.
- Create characters and objects, and animate them for a basic 3-D game.
Week 3: Create Motion! (Advanced)
3-D modeling and animation, game design, and motion capture. Advance your skills developed in Week 2: Create Motion! (Basic) taking it to the next level with a full 3-D, first-person shooting game:
- Art-direct your own live motion through the use of our 3-D motion capture studio.
- Animate and edit those movements using Autodesk Maya.
- Incorporate animated elements into a full 3-D first-person shooter game environment using Unreal.
Returning Create Motion Students:
Returning students will pursue a thesis-oriented project including proposal/planning/execution under the mentorship of faculty. A 2-week commitment is strongly recommended for returning students.
You may take one, two, or all three weeks of this program. You must complete Week 2: Create Motion! (Basic) as a prerequisite for Week 3: Create Motion! (Advanced). If you have taken the Create Motion! workshop during a previous session, you may sign-up for Create Motion! (Advanced) this summer.
- Session I: Brand Yourself, July 6 – 10
- Session II: Create Motion Basic, July 13 – 17
- Session III: Create Motion Advanced, July 20 – 24
- One week: $800
- Two weeks: $1,520
- Three weeks: $2,160
We will be offering a number of merit-based scholarships for each of our programs. Scholarships will be awarded to students based on their strong interest and commitment toward pursuing their selected area of study and on merit.
- Enrolled in high school (10th, 11th, or 12th grade).
- Formal essay (300-350 words) explaining why you are interested in your selected program and how it will help prepare you for college and your future career.
- Two recommendation letters from a teacher or guidance counselor.
- Copy of most recent high school transcript.
The deadline for scholarship applications is May 1. Recipients of the scholarship will be notified the week of May 15.
New York Tech Summer Academy is for for high school students, grades 9-12. To register, please submit the following:
- Completed application form.
- 250-word biographical statement (in English), telling us about yourself, your interests, and what you do in your spare time.
- $500 deposit.
- Copy of photo ID.
- International students: Please submit a copy of your passport (valid for at least six months after the program ends) with your application materials.
Registration for the program is on a rolling basis. Once the program has reached capacity, you will be put on a waiting list.
- May 1: Deadline for scholarship applications.