Exploring Architecture in Manhattan
Are you a high school or college student considering architecture as a career? Are you looking to develop a design portfolio? Our four-week intensive college-level program provides hands-on experience in studio design exercises and projects along with field trips and lectures led by NYIT faculty and guest professionals.
- Architectural design and history theory
- Hand drawing
- Model making
- Digital applications
- Shop fabrication
You’ll have full access to NYIT-Manhattan’s professional architecture facilities, including an open studio with a view of nearby Central Park, as well as our computer labs, model fabrication shops, library, and other resources.
No previous experience with architecture, drafting, or art is needed.
Upon successful completion of the course, students receive 3 academic credits and an official transcript from NYIT.
We offer two studio options supplemented by a visualization/representation course and a history/theory course. You must select either Studio 1 or Studio 2, which are at the same level of understanding but focus on a unique design aspect.
- Studio 1: Learn to understand, analyze, and reinterpret the built environment using the language of architecture to reveal a method and strategy for making new forms and spaces. Through a series of short studio projects, we will transform a 2-D image into a 3-D model, which will become the framework for an architectural and spatial proposition that defines a scale for human occupation and implies the 4th dimension of movement.
- Studio 2: Design and build a viewfinder, scaled to fit the occupation and scale of the human body, to be installed in a courtyard within the NYIT campus. We will explore the use of a cardboard prototype created to view site conditions in different ways, followed by other viewfinders. While working with our prototype, we will study and observe our projects to see what kind of data is gathered.
- Studio 1 and Studio 2 are offered during one four-week session: July 9 – August 3
Courses are offered Monday – Friday on our Manhattan campus.
Costs (four-week session)
- Tuition: $2,550
NYIT Academy is for for students ages 15-20. To register, please submit the following:
- Completed application form.
- 250-word biographical statement (in English), telling us about yourself, your interests, and what you do in your spare time.
- $500 deposit.
- Copy of photo ID.
- International students: Please submit a copy of your passport (valid for at least six months after the program ends) with your application materials.
Registration for the program is on a rolling basis. Once the program has reached capacity, you will be put on a waiting list.
- June 29: Extended registration deadline.
- July 1: All payment and forms are due.