Exploring Architecture in Manhattan
Are you a high school or college student considering architecture as a career? Are you looking to develop a design portfolio? Our four-week intensive college-level program provides hands-on experience in studio design exercises and projects along with field trips and lectures led by NYIT faculty and guest professionals.
- Architectural design and history theory
- Hand drawing
- Model making
- Digital applications
- Shop fabrication
You’ll have full access to NYIT-Manhattan’s professional architecture facilities, including an open studio with a view of nearby Central Park, as well as our computer labs, model fabrication shops, library, and other resources.
No previous experience with architecture, drafting, or art is needed.
Upon successful completion of the course, students receive three academic credits and an official transcript from NYIT.
We offer two studio options supplemented by a visualization/representation course and a history/theory course. You must select either Studio 1 or Studio 2, which are at the same level of understanding but focus on a unique design aspect.
- Studio 1: Learn to understand, analyze, and reinterpret the built environment using the language of architecture to reveal a method and strategy for making new forms and spaces. Through a series of short studio projects, we will transform a 2-D image into a 3-D model, which will become the framework for an architectural and spatial proposition that defines a scale for human occupation and implies the 4th dimension of movement.
- Studio 2: Learn to understand, analyze, and reinterpret the built environment using the language of architecture to reveal a method and strategy for making new forms and spaces. Through a series of short studio projects, we will transform a 2-D image into a 3-D model, which will become the framework for architectural propositions that define diverse scales for spatial and visual experiences.
Studio 1 and Studio 2 are offered during one four-week session:
- July 8 – August 2
Courses are offered Monday – Friday on our New York City campus.
Costs (four-week session)
- Tuition: $2,720
We will be offering a number of merit-based scholarships for each of our programs. Scholarships will be awarded to students based on their strong interest and commitment toward pursuing their selected area of study and on merit.
- Enrolled in high school (10th, 11th, or 12th grade).
- Formal essay (300-350 words) explaining why you are interested in your selected program and how it will help prepare you for college and your future career.
- Two recommendation letters from a teacher or guidance counselor.
- Copy of most recent high school transcript.
The deadline for scholarship applications is May 1. Recipients of the scholarship will be notified the week of May 15.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS PROGRAM IS NOW CLOSED