No Ordinary Journey Contest
November 20, 2020
12:30 PM – 2:00 PM
International students: Join us for a celebration of you, your personal journey, and your experiences adjusting to the ways of a foreign culture.
We invite you to share your personal story regarding situations and adjustments to a new environment—whether it’s loneliness slowly turning into excitement, isolation melting into confidence and a sense of belonging, or moments of personal growth or gradual understanding of “local ways.”
This year, as we have all been affected by the global COVID-19 pandemic, your essays and presentations can also provide an opportunity to reflect on how it has affected your life and express your feelings both on the current situation and for the future.
Your essay should be:
- No longer than 500 words.
- Tell your personal story of arriving in a new country and learning and adapting to a new culture.
- Detail how your life was affected, obstacles faced and how you were able to grow from the experience.
If you would rather not write an essay, your submission can take the form of:
- An art piece, with a description of its meaning and your process.
- Performance Art, such as song, dance, or playing an instrument.
- Poetry or spoken word.
Please submit your material no later than Monday, November 9. Remember to include your name, cell phone number, and New York Tech email address so we can contact you if you are a finalist in the contest.
Submissions to the No Ordinary Journey Essay Contest can be considered for a reading or presentation during International Education Week.
Use the button above or go to nyit.zoom.us/join and enter meeting ID: 919 0150 7720.
This event is part of New York Tech’s International Education Week Celebration.