What Is Zoom?
Zoom uses HD video conferencing and screen-sharing to provide rich, interactive communication for up to 25 people at a time. It offers mobile-screen sharing, document annotation, session recording, and works across desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. There's also a free teleconference number so people can call into the meeting, if they do not have a webcam. Login to Zoom via your NYIT Account »
Why use Zoom?
- Hold quick group meetings across campuses
- Hold virtual office hours
- Use the recording feature to save a session for future reference, and share it with people who couldn't attend in real-time.
- Bring in a guest speaker from a remote location
- Share a document or presentation, and annotate it while you discuss it together
- Simple user interface
- Give keyboard and mouse control to another participant - great for troubleshooting!
- Use two monitors to see participants on one screen, and the presentation on the other
- The only person who needs an account is the person who originates the meeting
- HD video- and audio-conferencing (with a phone line if folks need to call in) for up to 25 people at a time
- Active and spotlight speaker—very useful for meetings with multiple participants
- Private and group chat during the meeting
- Accessible from mac, windows, iOS, and android devices.
- Screen Sharing—desktop and mobile—(e.g. revise an article prior to submission)
- Video recording—MP4 recording and playback—screen annotations (e.g. record an exam review session and put it on Blackboard so students who could not be there in person can access the information or record a technology training session or simply a meeting and share it online with those who could not attend)
- Single sign-on (sign in with your NYIT username and password)
- Schedule meetings in advance and schedule recurring meetings—a link that is stable for one year—(e.g. office hours, advising, talking with students at their clinical sites, quick meetings with people on another campus)
- Please note that every faculty at NYIT has a basic account - a meeting is limited to 40 minutes at a time, if you have a need for a Pro account without the time restriction, please contact the CTL.
For more examples on Zoom use at NYIT, please see the Weekly Teaching Note: Sometimes, You Really Need to Meet Face-to-Face.
If you are new to Zoom watch this introductory overview on how to login, start a meeting, share a meeting link with students and also just some features of zoom. It’s about 15 minutes long and it walks you through all the necessary steps to get you started.
Try it now - you already have an account! See these PDF instructions for how to log in.
- Zoom – Getting Started
- Zoom – Advanced Features
- Log into the Zoom app
- Start a Meeting
- Schedule a Meeting
- Log In on the web (pdf)
- Log In on the web (video)
- See a List of Meeting Participants
- Customize your Personal Meeting ID
- Getting Started Desktop Computers / iOS Devices
- Features Overview Desktop Computers / iOS Devices
- Recording a Meeting Desktop Computers
- Zoom Support Center
- Zoom Youtube Channel
Drop in for a quick conversation with the CTL staff or email us:
- Francine Glazer: firstname.lastname@example.org