William Blazey, D.O. oversees the delivery of the first two years of medical education content at NYITCOM and is implementing a system for mapping the entire curriculum based on physician competencies and domains of knowledge. He conducts lectures for osteopathic medical students and physician-assistant students as well as faculty development programs. Blazey frequently speaks at regional and national conferences on topics including medical education delivery systems, global health outreach and safety, and access of community resources for persons with disabilities. He is board certified in Family Practice and OMT, providing medical care at the Academic Health Care Center of NYIT and delivering wellness and injury prevention lectures to community groups. His research focuses on physician behaviors and attitudes in the relation to patient outcomes has been published in both national and international peer reviewed journals. He serves as a board member of DOCARE International and is a member of many committees in the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians (ACOFP), and American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM).
- Cohn J, Blazey W, Tegay D, Harper B, Koehler S, Laurent B, Chan V, Jung MK, Krishnamachari B. Physician Knowledge of Ethnicity Specific Differences in BRCA Genetic Testing. Breast J. 2014 Sep 23.
- Cohn J, Blazey W, Tegay D, Harper B, Koehler S, Laurent B, Chan V, Jung MK, Krishnamachari B. Physician Risk Assessment Knowledge Regarding BRCA Genetics Testing. J Cancer Educ. 2014 Sep 20.
- Chan V, Blazey W, Tegay D, Harper B, Koehler S, Laurent B, Lipka S, Cohn J, Jung MK, Krishnamachari B. Impact of academic affiliation and training on knowledge of hereditary colorectal cancer. Public Health Genomics. 2014;17(2):76-83
- Blazey, W. Spinal muscular atrophy. In: Ebell MH, Ferenchick G, Smith M, Barry H, Slawson D, Shaughnessy A, Forsch R, Li S, Wilkes M, Usatine R, eds. e-Essential Evidence. 1st ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons. Epublished Nov 7, 2009.
Honors & Awards
- Innovation in Integration Award, MedU Simulated Internal Medicine Patient Learning, 2015
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching Clinical Sciences – NYITCOM, 2015
- President’s Award for Global Student Engagement - NYIT Center for Global Health, 2014
- Physician Hero, 7th Annual Health Care Hero Awards, 2012
- Dean’s Standard of Excellence Award, 2010
- Resident of the Year Award 2008, 2007 – Long Beach Medical Center
Courses I Teach/Have Taught at NYIT
- Nephrology (COM and PA school)
- Doctor-Patient Relationships
- Lectures in Ethics, Endocrinology, and Reproduction