William Blazey, D.O. oversees the delivery of all four years of medical education content at NYITCOM and academic support for the medical students in his role as the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. He conducts lectures for osteopathic medical students and physician assistant students as well as faculty development programs.
Blazey frequently speaks at regional and national conferences on topics including medical education delivery systems, global health outreach and safety, and access to community resources for persons with disabilities. He is board-certified in Family Practice and OMT, providing medical care at the Academic Health Care Center at New York Tech and delivering wellness and injury prevention lectures to community groups. His research focuses on physician behaviors and attitudes in the relation to patient outcomes has been published in both national and international peer-reviewed journals. He serves on the American Osteopathic Association's Bureau on Scientific Affairs and Public Health and was a past board member of DOCARE International.
- Krishnamachari B., Rehman M., Cohn J.E., Chan V., Modi N., Leitner O., Tangeney K., O’Connor A., Blazey W., Koehler S., Tegay D. Video education on hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (HBOC) for physicians: An interventional study. Journal of Cancer Education, 33(6): 2018, 1213-1221.
- Krishnamachari B., Rehman M., Cohn J.E., Chan V., Modi N., Leitner O., Tangeney K., O’Connor A., Blazey W., Koehler S., Tegay D. Video Education on Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer (HBOC) for Physicians: an Interventional Study. Journal Cancer Education. 2017 June 1.
- Craft A, Blazey W. “Comparative Effectiveness and Value-Based Purchasing: Can We Improve Quality and Cost?” Maryland Medical Journal. 2014.
- Cohn J, Blazey W, Tegay D, Harper B, Koehler S, Laurent B, Chan V, Jung MK, Krishnamachari B. Physician Knowledge of Ethnicity Specific Differences in BRCA Genetic Testing. Breast J. 2014 Sep 23.
- Cohn J, Blazey W, Tegay D, Harper B, Koehler S, Laurent B, Chan V, Jung MK, Krishnamachari B. Physician Risk Assessment Knowledge Regarding BRCA Genetics Testing. J Cancer Educ. 2014 Sep 20.
- Chan V, Blazey W, Tegay D, Harper B, Koehler S, Laurent B, Lipka S, Cohn J, Jung MK, Krishnamachari B. Impact of academic affiliation and training on knowledge of hereditary colorectal cancer. Public Health Genomics. 2014;17(2):76-83
- Blazey, W. Spinal muscular atrophy. In: Ebell MH, Ferenchick G, Smith M, Barry H, Slawson D, Shaughnessy A, Forsch R, Li S, Wilkes M, Usatine R, eds. e-Essential Evidence. 1st ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons. E-published Nov 7, 2009.
Honors and Awards
- Program Award in Recognition of Adjunct Faculty, Physician Assistant Program at New York Tech, Distinguished Alumni Award, 2018
- Humanism in Medicine, Union-Endicott Senior High School, 2017
- Innovation in Integration Award, MedU Simulated Internal Medicine Patient Learning, 2015
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching Clinical Sciences, NYITCOM, 2015
- President’s Award for Global Student Engagement, Center for Global Health at New York Tech, 2014
- Physician Hero, 7th Annual Health Care Hero Awards, 2012
- Dean’s Standard of Excellence Award, 2010
- Resident of the Year Award, Long Beach Medical Center, 2007, 2008
Courses Taught at New York Tech
- Nephrology (COM and PA school)
- Doctor-Patient Relationships
- Lectures in Ethics, Endocrinology, and Reproduction