Tom Verebes, Ph.D., is the director of his own practice, OCEAN CN Limited, based in New York and Hong Kong. His former academic roles include serving as associate dean for teaching and learning as well as associate professor at the University of Hong Kong, co-director of the Design Research Lab at the AA in London, and most recently as the founding provost of Turenscape Academy. In addition, Verebes served as a guest professor at Akademie der Buildenden Künste ABK Stuttgart from 2004 to 2006), and has held visiting professor roles at University of Pennsylvania, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Syracuse University, RMIT, Singapore University of Technology & Design SUTD, and University of Tokyo. He has directed AA Visiting School programs, including the AA Shanghai Summer School for 12 consecutive years, as well as AAVS Xixinan and AAVS Shenzhen.
Verebes received his Bachelor of Architecture and Bachelor of Science (Arch.) from McGill University in Canada, a Research Certificate from the Laboratory of Primary Studies in Architecture in Paris, a Grad Dip (Design) from the Architectural Association in London, and a Ph.D. from RMIT in Australia. He has more than 150 publications, including Masterplanning the Adaptive City: Computational Urbanism in the Twenty-First Century (Routledge, 2013); a guest-edited issue of AD titled “Mass Customised Cities” (Wiley, 2015); SHANGHAI TEN FOLIO (ORO, 2017), and DRL X: A Design Research Compendium (AA Publications, 2008). Verebes’ work has been exhibited in more than 50 venues worldwide, and he has lectured extensively in Asia, Europe, North America, Australia, Africa, and the Middle East.
Tom Verebes, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, School of Architecture and Design
- Direction and conception of façade design, Shenzhen Genzon Science Park, China (2017).
- Design direction of Xiangmi Park, Shenzhen, China, International Competition organized by Shenzhen Civic Government (2014-2015).
- Direction and conception of a 600-meter-long façade design, Yubei Wholesale Market, Chongqing, China (2014).
- Creative direction, conceptual design, and presentation production coordination, Umekita Second Development Area, Osaka Station, Japan, International Invited Limited Design Competition (2013).
- Design of landscape, car park, and signage of Kid’s Dream, Baoding, Hebei Province, China (2013-14).
- Creative direction, production, and post-production project coordination of Yan Jiao Hua Run 4D City Masterplan, Hubei Province, China (2011-2012).
Professional Honors and Awards
- Member, Medical Architecture & Culture Committee, Architecture & Culture Society of China, Beijing (2018).
- Honorary Member, Asia Designers Communication Platform, Hong Kong (2017).
- Honorary Academic Chairman for Outstanding Achievement, Crystal CG Education, Beijing (2012).
- Finalist, Liantang /Heung Yuen Wai Boundary Control Point Terminal Building Competition, Hong Kong/Shenzhen (2011).
- Visiting Research Fellow, Key State Laboratory of Architecture, Science & Technology, Xi’an (2009).
- Second Prize, OCEAN D, Palisades National Park Mountain Hut Design Competition, Palisades, Calif. (2004).
- Design Studio
- Elective Seminar: The Genealogy of Contemporary Paradigms
- Elective Seminar: Urban-ISMS
- Urbanism Lecture Course: Cities and their Territories