Sonia Rivera-Martinez received her Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine at NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM) in 2002. She completed her internship, family practice residency, and chief residency at the Long Beach Medical Center (LBMC), Long Beach, N.Y. in 2006. From 2006 to 2010, she worked as an attending physician for the Department of Family Medicine at the Jamaica Hospital Medical Center in Jamaica, N.Y. She earned her board certification in family medicine and osteopathic manipulative treatment in 2005.
In April 2010, she joined the Family Medicine Department at NYITCOM as full-time clinical teaching faculty. At NYITCOM, she teaches first- and second- year osteopathic medical students in the Doctor Patient Relationship course and precepts third-year osteopathic medical students while providing patient care at the NYITCOM Academic Health Care Centers.
From early in her osteopathic medical career, she set several goals for herself which include expanding the public's knowledge of osteopathic medicine through research and advocacy, teaching medical students the art and science of osteopathic medicine, providing medical services in an underserved area, and educating patients about healthy lifestyles. In keeping with these goals, she has been very active serving the profession in various national, state, and local organizations. She serves as past president of the New York State Osteopathic Medical Society and Treasurer for the New York State Chapter of the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians (ACOFP). In addition, she serves as treasurer for the NYITCOM Alumni Association and senator of the NYITCOM Faculty Senate.
- "Assessing Type II Diabetic Patient's Knowledge of Diabetes in Association with Race, Level of Education and Health Literacy in a Primary Care Setting". Principal Investigator. NYIT IRB Protocol Number BHS-964.
- "Assessment of the association between depressive symptoms with the presence of past hallucinatory events and sleep-wake disturbances in patients with Parkinson's disease". Principal Investigator. NYIT IRB Protocol Number BHS-1042.
- Herpes Simplex. Sonia Rivera-Martinez, Sharon Koehler, The 5-Minute Clinical Consult 2017, 25th ed.
- Vitiligo. Sonia Rivera-Martinez, Karen Sheflin, The 5-Minute Clinical Consult 2017, 25th ed.
- Infertility. Sharon Koehler, Sonia Rivera-Martinez. The 5-Minute Clinical Consult 2017, 25th ed.
- Physician Liability Insurance Reform. Sonia Rivera-Martinez; Osteopathic Family Physician 2011; 3:167-171.
- Connecting with patients who have limited English proficiency. Sonia Rivera-Martinez; AOA Health Watch 2010; 5(2):10-18.
Courses I Teach/Have Taught at NYIT
- Doctor Patient Relationship
- Cardiovascular System
- Gastrointestinal System
- Nervous System and Behavior
- Musculoskeletal System
Professional Honors & Awards
- 2013: Unsung Hero Award New York State Osteopathic Medical Society
- 2011: Fellow American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians
- 2004: American Osteopathic Foundation Wyeth Emerging Leader Award