Reza K. Amineh is currently an associate professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Prior to joining New York Institute of Technology, Amineh was a principal scientist at the Department of Sensor Physics at Halliburton. He received his Ph.D. in electrical engineering from McMaster University, Canada, in 2010. He was a post-doctoral fellow at McMaster University (2010–2012) and the University of Toronto (2012–2013). He was also a Ph.D. intern with BlackBerry's Advanced Technology Group in 2009.
Amineh has authored or co-authored more than 90 journal and conference papers, two book chapters, and a book published by Wiley-IEEE Press. While working at Halliburton, he contributed to more than 40 patent disclosures in applied electromagnetics and received several industrial awards.
Among others, his research interests include applied electromagnetics with applications in imaging and sensing, antennas and microwave components design, nondestructive testing, wearable sensing, and water/soil quality sensing. His research has been funded by the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) and Canada's Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC). Amineh is a senior member of IEEE.
- M. Shah, Y. Gao, M. Ravan, and Reza K. Amineh, "Quantitative defect size evaluation in fluid-carrying nonmetallic pipes," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Techniques, vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 4071–4081, 2022.
- A. Byberi, R. K. Amineh, and M. Ravan, "Wearable inductive sensing of the arm joint: comparison of three sensing configurations," Magnetism, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 195–210, 2022
- Y. Gao, N. Raisa, and R. K. Amineh, "Effect of eccentricity in microwave imaging of multiple composite pipes," Columbia Undergraduate Science Journal (CUSJ), vol. 15, pp. 30–38, May 2021.
- M. Ganesh, M. Ravan, and R. K. Amineh, "Electromagnetic induction imaging at multiple depths with a single coil," IEEE Trans. Instrumentation & Measurement, vol. 70, no. 4502809, pp. 1–9, 2021.
- H. Wu, M. Ravan, and R. K. Amineh, "Holographic near-field microwave imaging with antenna arrays in a cylindrical setup," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 418–430, 2021.
- H. Wu, M. Ravan, R. Sharma, J. Patel, and R. K. Amineh, "Microwave holographic imaging of nonmetallic concentric pipes," IEEE Trans. Instrumentation & Measurement, vol. 69, no. 10, pp. 7594–7605, 2020.
- H. Wu and R. K. Amineh, "A low-cost and compact three-dimensional microwave holographic imaging system," Electronics, Special Issue on Applications of Electromagnetic Waves (invited), vol. 8, no. 9, 2019.
- K. Zhang, R. K. Amineh, Z. Dong, and D. Nadler, "Microwave sensing of water quality," IEEE Access, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 69481–69493, Dec. 2019.
- R. K. Amineh, M. Ravan, H. Wu, and A. Kasturi, "Three-dimensional holographic imaging using data collected over cylindrical apertures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett. (Wiley), 2018. DOI: 10.1002/mop.31694.
- R. K. Amineh, M. Ravan, R. Sharma, and S. Baua, "Three-dimensional holographic imaging using single frequency microwave data," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, vol. 2018 (invited), Article ID 6542518, 14 pages, 2018.
- R. K. Amineh, J. McCombe, A. Khalatpour, and N. K. Nikolova, "Microwave holography using point-spread functions measured with calibration objects," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 403–417, 2015.
- R. K. Amineh and G. V. Eleftheriades, "2D and 3D sub-diffraction source imaging with a superoscillatory filter," Optics Express, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 8142–8157, 2013.
- R. K. Amineh, M. Ravan, A. Khalatpour, and N. K. Nikolova, "Three-dimensional near-field microwave holography using reflected and transmitted signals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 4777–4789, 2011.
- R. K. Amineh, M. Ravan, A. Trehan, and N. K. Nikolova, "Near-field microwave imaging based on aperture raster scanning with TEM horn antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 928–940, 2011.
- R. K. Amineh, S. Koziel, N. K. Nikolova, J. W. Bandler, and J. P. Reilly, "A space mapping methodology for defect characterization from magnetic flux leakage measurements," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 2058–2065, 2008.
Grants and Awards
- Presidential Excellence Award in the Student Engagement in "Research, Scholarship, or Creative Activities," New York Institute of Technology's Convocation, 2022.
- "Developing a wearable sensor technology to investigate the effect of virtual reality based therapy on the hand motion and the related brain functioning of autistic children," NYIT ISRC grant, 2022–2023.
- Yuki Gao from our group received IEEE Microwave Theory and Technique Society's Undergraduate/Pre-Graduate Scholarship Award, Spring 2022.
- Hailun Wu from our group received Provost Doctoral Award along with PhD admission from New Jersey Institute of Technology, Spring 2021.
- Certificate of Service as guest editor of special issue "Applications of Electromagnetic Waves," MDPI Electronics journal, 2020.
- "Quality enhancement in holographic imaging of hidden objects based on background property estimation," NYIT ISRC grant, 2020–2021.
- "RUI: Fast and robust non-destructive testing of cylindrical composite components based on microwave measurements," NSF Award No. 1920098, 2019–2022.
- "Fast microwave and millimeter wave imaging with expedited scanning," New York Institute of Technology ISRC grant, 2019–2020.
- "Material characterization with a microwave sensor array: application to water quality sensing," New York Institute of Technology ISRC grant, 2019–2020.
- "A microwave sensor array for water quality testing," co-authored with M.S. student Kunyi Zhang, selected as finalist in the student paper competition in the 20th annual IEEE Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), 2019.
- "Implementation of a Comprehensive High-School-College Partnership and Equity-Based Curriculum in Engineering and Computer Science," NSF Award No. 1834099, 2019–2024.
- "EAGER SitS: Autonomous soil nutrient sensing system," NSF Award No. 1841558, 2018–2020.
- "Three-dimensional holographic imaging using single frequency microwave data," New York Institute of Technology ISRC grant, 2018–2019.
- Speaker award at IEEE Long Island RF/Microwave Symposium and Exhibits: Trends in Microwaves, 2018.
- "Development of a near-field cylindrical microwave imaging technology," New York Institute of Technology ISRC grant, 2017–2018.
- Halliburton Applause Award for "aiming for excellence and hitting the target," 2015.
- Halliburton Applause Award for "passion in developing new technology," 2014.
- Numerous Halliburton awards for filing patent applications, 2014–2016.
- Elevated to Senior Member of IEEE, 2013.
- Banting Post-Doctoral Fellowship, awarded by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), which ranked Amineh 4th out of 214 Canadian and international applicants in science and engineering, 2012–2014.
- Biography included in Marquis Who's Who in the World, 30th edition, 2013.
- Co-author of a paper published in the journal Inverse Problems' "Highlights Collection of 2010."
- Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation (OMRI) post-doctoral fellowship, 2010–2012.
- Clifton W. Sherman Graduate Scholarship for doctoral study in science and engineering, McMaster University, 2009–2010.
- Co-author of an "honourable mention" paper in the student paper contest, Antennas and Propagation Symposium, San Diego, 2008.
- Clifton W. Sherman Graduate Scholarship for doctoral study in science and engineering, McMaster University, 2008–2009.