Robert Feirsen joined the faculty of NYIT in fall 2017. Previously, he served as Superintendent of Garden City (N.Y.) Public Schools for 12 years. Feirsen also served as Deputy Superintendent of Schools in Manhasset (N.Y.) for seven years. His other administrative experience includes service as an elementary principal, middle school principal, and middle school assistant principal. With degrees in history, special education, and educational administration, Feirsen taught at the elementary, middle, and high school levels before moving into supervisory roles. His college teaching experience includes leading graduate courses at Fordham University, Adelphi University, and Stony Brook UniversityResearch interests include organizational culture, policy development and implementation, and college readiness.
Feirsen has published articles in several educational journals and magazines. He is co-author of How to Get the Teaching Job You Want, a highly regarded guide to the job search process in education. Feirsen has also presented at national and regional conferences including ASCD, the New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA), and the National School Public Relations Association (NSPRA). Feirsen served as co-chair of the Superintendents-College Presidents Partnership, a group dedicated to increasing collaboration between school districts and colleges on Long Island that is sponsored by the Long Island Regional Advisory Council on Higher Education (LIRACHE), a consortium representing the area’s colleges and universitiesThe partnership is currently completing a groundbreaking study of college readiness. Feirsen has also served on advisory boards for Adelphi University and NYIT. He is a member of the Board of Directors of SCOPE, a non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of public education.
- College readiness: Educational pathways for student success
- Top ten interview questions asked by school administratorsJob Search Handbook for Educators, 49th and 50th annual editions.
- Emphasizing core value: Strategies to enhance your district’s worthNational School Public Relations e-newsletter.
- How to get the teaching job you want (2nd ed.)Sterling, VA: Stylus Publications.
- Creating a middle school culture of literacyMiddle School Journal.
- Separation anxietyIn Transition.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, Educational Policy Fellowship Program, Institute for Educational Leadership
- Achievement Award: Phi Delta Kappa, Adelphi University Chapter
- Honorary Life Membership, New York State PTA
- East Meadow PTA Founder's Day honoree Garden City Chamber of Commerce Community Achievement Award