Dr. Pablo Lorenzo-Eiroa is an associate professor with Tenure and director of the Master of Science in Architecture, Computational Technologies program in the NYIT School of Architecture and Design, and is an international architect and scholar in the fields of architecture, urbanism, ecology, and computation. His work innovates in information-based representation and construction systems through materials, robotics and digital fabrication.
He received his Doctor in Architecture degree from UIC Barcelona and his architecture degree from the University of Buenos Aires, where he completed studies for his second master's degree and a post-graduate seminar at the Superior School of Fine Arts de la Carcova. He then won the Fulbright and the National Endowment for the Arts Scholarship to complete his M.Arch II at Princeton University. Professionally, Lorenzo-Eiroa is the design principal of the experimental practice e-Architects (New York/Buenos Aires) based on an emerging Architecture and Urbanism of Information. e-Architects develops software, information “mapping” and “visualizations” implementing Big Data, including machines to “draw” and machines to “build”, understanding them as proto-architectural. His built work includes parks, buildings and installations in Buenos Aires, New York and Europe.
Lorenzo-Eiroa’s projects and articles have been published, exhibited and presented in several publications and institutions, including The Venice Biennale (VIII, IX, XVI, XVII), MoMA, MAS Summit 2017, NYC Media Lab, ACADIA, The Storefront for Art and Architecture, The New York Times, Clarin ARQ, La Nacion, Constructs (Yale University SoA), Paradigms in Computation (eVolo), Imagining Ground Zero, The Generic Sublime (Actar/Harvard GSD), Plataforma Arquitectura, Arch Daily, Suckerpunch, Pulsation, Pidgin (Princeton), Plot magazine, and many others.
Previously, Lorenzo-Eiroa was an associate professor adj. at The School of Architecture of Cooper Union, where he was the head professor and coordinator of the Advanced Master Program Studio (Fall semester 2014, 2015, 2017) and the Design II Studio (Fall semester 2010-2013). He was also the director of an innovative digital representation and fabrication certificate combining faculty and students from different disciplines (CE). Pablo Lorenzo-Eiroa has also been appointed Visiting Associate Professor at UPenn, Columbia University, UIC Barcelona, Sapienza University in Rome, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella, and the University of Buenos Aires.
He was invited to lecture and present on many occasions including keynotes and invited presentations at institutions globally, including: New York Institute of Technology, The Cooper Union, Princeton University, Harvard GSD, Rice University, Art Institute Chicago, ETH-Zurich, ENSA-Strasbourg, UIC Barcelona, University of Alicante, Sapienza University in Rome, Tongji University, University of Buenos Aires, Hong Kong University, Tel Aviv University, Universidad Catolica de Puerto Rico Ponce, UCE, and others.
Selected Recent Projects/Research
- Site-Specific Robotic 3D Printer and e-Chaise Longue, GAA Foundation, European Cultural Center, Palazzo Bembo, during Venice Biennale 2018
- Rezoning NYC Through Big Data Processing, GAA Foundation, Palazzo Bembo, Group Exhibition during Venice Biennale 2018
- Vicente Lopez Shore Park, Venice Biennale 2018 Argentina Pavilion
- Canvas Scraper, Machinic Metal Piece Exhibition, Dean's Wall, The Cooper Union
- Guggenheim Helsinki Competition
- House II version C, Built Phase I, Shinnecock Hills, Southampton, NY
- Lorenzo-Eiroa, Pablo "Rezoning NYC Through Big Data" in Data, Matter, Design: Strategies in Computational Design ed. Frank Melendez, Nancy Diniz, Marcella Del Signore, Routledge 2020
- Lorenzo-Eiroa, Pablo “Towards a Biodigital City Through Big Data Evolutionary Simulation” in Conference Proceedings of 4th International Conference of Biodigital Architecture and Genetics, ed. Alberto Estevez, iBAG-UIC, Barcelona, 2020
- Lorenzo-Eiroa, Pablo “Multidimensional Space: From Perspective to Big Data”, in Graphic Imprints, The Influence of Representation and Ideation Tools in Architecture, ed. Carlos Marcos, EGA, Alicante 2019
- Lorenzo-Eiroa, Pablo “Post-Digital as Design Authorship” in Instabilities and Potentialities, ed. Chandler Ahrens and Aaron Sprecher, Routledge, 2019
- Lorenzo-Eiroa, Pablo “Data and Politics of Information: Rezoning New York City through Big Data”, in Data, Architecture and the Experience of Place, ed. Anastasia Karandinou, Routledge, London 2019
- Architecture in Formation, ed. Pablo Lorenzo-Eiroa and Aaron Sprecher, Routledge/Taylor and Francis, London, 2013
- Life in Formation: On Responsive Information and Variations in Architecture, ed. Aaron Sprecher, Shai Yeshayahu, and Pablo Lorenzo-Eiroa, ACADIA, New York, 2010
- “Analog and Digital Strategies Between Interfaces,” Pablo Lorenzo-Eiroa, Computer Representation and Fabrication Manual, 2006
- Instalaciones: Sobre el trabajo de Peter Eisenman, Pablo Lorenzo-Eiroa, DLO/RE, Buenos Aires, 2008
- Solsona: Apuntes para una autobiografia, ed. Alejandro Crispiani, Vivian Acuna, Pablo Lorenzo-Eiroa, Axel Fridman and Alexis Rochas, Ed Infinito, Buenos Aires, 1998
Selected Professional Honors and Awards
- S-LAB Funding and Dean's Incentive Award, NYIT School of Architecture and Design, 2020
- Group Exhibition: American Mathematical Society, Bridges Conference and Joint Mathematics Meeting, San Diego, Calif., 2018
- MAS Summit Innovation Exhibition NYC, Morgan Library, 2017
- Exhibition Selection: NYC Media Lab, NYU, 2015
- Portfolio Finalist: OSAKA Competition, Japan, 2014
- Fulbright Commission 50 Years Anniversary Featured Scholar, Argentina, 2006
- Butler Prize and EC-US Award, Princeton University, 2001-2003
- Fulbright Commission Scholar, 2001-2004
- National Endowment for the Arts Scholar, Argentina 2001-2004
- Several national and international professional architecture competition entries and awards, 1998-present