Mark Gugliotti is an assistant professor at NYIT where he teaches orthopedic manual therapy and massage and is a health care associate and researcher at NYIT Center for eSports Medicine. He is also the owner of Joint Effort Therapeutics PT which provides home care, consultation services, and continuing education seminars. He has published in the peer reviewed journals Rehabilitation Oncology and Journal of Manual and Manipulative Therapy. Gugliotti has also published an auto-biographical account of his cancer experience entitled Victor Not Victim: My Battle with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
Gugliotti’s research interests include rehabilitation oncology, manual therapy, neurodynamics, postural ergonomics, and educational technologies. He also oversees the campus-wide "Posture Patrol" initiative committed to assisting faculty and staff members adopt a healthier and more ergonomic workstation environment.
In 1995, Gugliotti graduated from the Hogeschool Enschede in The Netherlands, where he studied physical therapy. Prior to that, he earned his bachelor of science degree in exercise physiology at the University of Connecticut. He has taken numerous continuing education courses with the specialty of orthopedic manual therapy. Completion of several of these courses earned Gugliotti his master of science degree in Advanced Orthopedic Physical Therapy and his transitional-Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Touro College. He has also earned the distinction of being an Orthopedic Certified Specialist (OCS) and a Certified Orthopedic Manual Therapist (COMT).
- • Gugliotti MJ, Gianotti N, Amore J, Capobianco B, Ragusso M, Kanemoto T, Benevento T. Between-week reliability of the lumbar spine palpation simulator.
- Gugliotti MJ, Alves K, DeLeo F, Do V, Hariprashad A, Maskokski J, Tau J, Peret NA. The effect of real-time auditory feedback during palpation of a simulated lumbar spine in the education of physical therapy students.
- Gugliotti MJ. Contribution of aberrant postures to neck pain and headaches in eSport athletes. Res Inves Sports Med. 2018;3(1):1-2. doi: 10.31031/RISM.2018.03.000554.
- Gugliotti MJ, Storic L. The McMurray’s Test-A Historical Perspective. J Physiother Rehabil. 2018;2(1):1-2. doi: 10.1472/jptr.1000108.
- Gugliotti MJ, Douris P, Handrakis J, Shacklock M, Assaro A, Garrick R, Kartsev G, Lin Y. Characteristics, distribution, and behavior of sensory responses of the straight leg raise test in asymptomatic individuals. J Physiother Rehabil. 2018;2(1):1-5.
- Gugliotti MJ, Ingenito T, Douris P, Jung MK, Assaro A, Epifania J, Garrick R, Kartsev G, Lin Y, Paul A. The examination of arterial stiffness and neurodynamics of middle-aged individuals: A pilot study. Cardiopulm Phys Ther J. 2017;28(4):147-153. doi: 10.1097/CPT.0000000000000067.
- Gugliotti MJ, Cohen D, Hernandez A, Hinrichs K, Osmundsen N. Impact of shoulder internal rotation on normal sensory response during ulnar nerve-biased neurodynamic testing of asymptomatic individuals. J Man Manip Ther. 2017;25(1):39-46. doi: 10.1080/10669817.2016.1173317.
- Gugliotti MJ, Futterman B, Ahrens T, Block D, Brown L, Dagro M, Falesto J, Lyon, A. Impact of shoulder internal rotation on ulnar nerve excursion and strain in embalmed cadavers. A pilot study. J Man Manip Ther. 2016;24(2):111-116. doi: 10.1179/2042618614Y.0000000093.
- Storic L, Linder J, Foster C, Kane L, Gugliotti MJ. Does exercise provide a positive therapeutic effect for patients with cancer-related fatigue? A systematic review. Rehabilitation Oncology. 2013;31(4):14-22.
- Gugliotti MJ. The use of mobilization, Muscle Energy Technique, and Soft Tissue Mobilization Following a Modified Radical Neck Dissection of a Patient with Head and Neck Cancer: Case Report. Rehabilitation Oncology. 2011;29(1):3-8.
Honors + Awards
- 2012 Outstanding Teaching Award NYIT
- TLT Grant awarded in 2016 to fund collaborative research project to design and fabricate an innovative technological simulation device to assist physical therapy students in developing their spinal palpation skills and diagnosing select spinal dysfunction. Awarded $4,861 for 1 year. Lead PI: Mark Gugliotti, Co-PI: Richard Simpson.
- ISRC Grant awarded in 2013 to fund collaborative research project investigating alternative means of ulnar nerve tension bias used in treatment in orthopedic manual therapy. Awarded $4,125 for 1 year. Lead PI: Mark Gugliotti, Co-PI's: Bennett Futterman and Robert Hill.
Courses I Teach/Have Taught at NYIT
- PHTH 620: Massage
- PHTH 695: Manual Therapy 1-Peripheral Joints
- PHTH 730: Manual Therapy 2-Introduction to Spine
- PHTH 780: Manual Therapy 3-Advanced Spine
- PHTH 875: Advanced Practice
- PHTH 685: Evaluation and Differential Diagnosis