Diana Moronta (she/her/hers) supports research, information literacy, reference, and outreach to her research community, based in the New York Institute of Technology Library. She also provides open access and open educational resources.
Moronta earned a bachelor’s degree in political science at Hunter College of CUNY. Her master’s degree from the Pratt Institute is in library and information science. She is the creator of 17 libguides on topics including tools for the digital humanities; open educational resources; and service learning and community engagement. These are available through the New York Tech library online.
Moronta’s research interests lie in the fields of critical information literacy, open access and open educational resources, and open pedagogy. She also care about implementing social justice components within library systems and instruction services in order to create learning spaces that are welcoming and inclusive for all.
Selected Presentations and Publications
- Co-edited Book with Alyssa Brissett. Practicing Social Justice in Libraries: Strategies, Action, and Self-Care in Library Work. London, United Kingdom: Routledge guides to practice in libraries, archives, and information science. September 2022.
- Social Justice Work in Libraries. Panel at the PublicsLab at the Graduate Center, City University of New York (CUNY) in New York, New York, February 15, 2022.
- Open Conversations Across NYIT Campuses, with Vanessa Viola. Poster session at the 16th Annual Open Education (OpenEd) Conference, in Phoenix, AZ. November 1st, 2019.
- Democracy, Social Unrest, and Libraries on the 21st Century, with Alyssa Brissett. Panel at the Ethnic & Multicultural Information and Exchange Round Table (EMIERT), American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference, in Washington, DC. June 22, 2019.
- Can We Reach the White Tower? Barriers to Staff Promotion and Retention in Libraries, with Naomi Binnie, Kenya Flash, Alyssa Brisset, and Kelleen Maluski. Panel at Greater New York Metropolitan Area Chapter of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL/NY) Symposium, in New York, NY. December 7, 2018.
- Framing our work: Towards Understanding Social Justice in Librarianship, with Alyssa Brissett. Poster Session at Joint Conference of Librarians of Color (JCLC), Albuquerque, NM. September 28, 2018.
- What you can do in your community: Civic Engagement in Academic Librarianship, with Alyssa Brissett. Poster Session presented at Library Association of New York City (LACUNY) Institute In New York, NY. May 19, 2017.
- American Aviatrixes: Women with Wings, with Megan DeArmond and Laurin Paradis. Digital exhibit for Digital Public Library of America, 2015.
Courses Taught at New York Tech
- Foundations of Inquiry (FCIQ)